all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs does not recognise the shift key as a modifier.
@ 2003-09-02 18:22 Tom Oswald
From: Tom Oswald @ 2003-09-02 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I press Control+H followed by k to get help regarding commands associated
with keys.  Then subsequently pressing <Shift>F3, emacs only presents the
command, if any, associated with F3, not <Shift>F3.  It does not understand the
F3 was pressed while holding down <Shift>.

Is there a xmodmap solution or is it an emacs problem?

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: Emacs does not recognise the shift key as a modifier.
@ 2003-09-03 10:35 ` Thomas Gehrlein
From: Thomas Gehrlein @ 2003-09-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Oswald <toswald@sharplabs.com> writes:

> When I press Control+H followed by k to get help regarding commands
> associated with keys.  Then subsequently pressing <Shift>F3, emacs only
> presents the command, if any, associated with F3, not <Shift>F3.  It does not
> understand the F3 was pressed while holding down <Shift>.
>
> Is there a xmodmap solution or is it an emacs problem?

Try C-h l (view-lossage) to se if emacs understands Shift-F3.

AFAIK, C-h k ignores Shift if there is no special key-binding for it.

Thomas

* Re: Emacs does not recognise the shift key as a modifier.
@ 2003-09-10 13:54 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-09-10 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Oswald <toswald@sharplabs.com> wrote in message news:<vl9noardr67jf1@corp.supernews.com>...
> When I press Control+H followed by k to get help regarding commands associated
> with keys.  Then subsequently pressing <Shift>F3, emacs only presents the
> command, if any, associated with F3, not <Shift>F3.  It does not understand the
> F3 was pressed while holding down <Shift>.

That's a feature.  That way, you can type C-f (say) even when
Caps-Lock is enabled, and it will do what you think.

But if you bind C-S-f, then C-f with Caps-Lock on or C-S-f will of
course invoke that function.

This way, binding S-<f3> to some function will automatically make it
appear.

This is the number two obscure feature of Emacs, IMHO.  Number one is
M-x picture-mode RET C-c C-c for removing trailing blanks on each
line.

* Re: Emacs does not recognise the shift key as a modifier.
@ 2003-09-10 19:31   ` Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2003-09-10 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

That is interesting. Doesn't emacs have very low level access to
key scan codes so that it can distinguish when user
is pressing Shift key + f which results in F as opposed to
knowing that F is resulting due to Caps Lock. I say that
because when the caps lock is on one can type Shift-f to
get f.

@ 2003-10-30  3:58     ` David Vanderschel
From: David Vanderschel @ 2003-10-30  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

 "Sandip Chitale" <sandipchitale@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> That is interesting. Doesn't emacs have very low level access to
k> key scan codes so that it can distinguish when user
> is pressing Shift key + f which results in F as opposed to
> knowing that F is resulting due to Caps Lock. I say that
> because when the caps lock is on one can type Shift-f to
> get f.

Yes, it does.

I have struggled with this myself.  The catch is that,
if nothing is bound to the shifted version of a key,
then emacs defaults to whatever is bound for the
unshifted version.  However, you can still explicitly
bind a different function to the shifted version,
after which the key will behave differently depending
on the shift.

(As a side note of interest, the redundant keys of the
keypad (Windows type keyboard) can also be bound
differently from the way the equivalent keys elsewhere
are bound.  The unique names prefix "kp-".  Eg., kp-5,
or kp-prior.  Hint:  To see the key name, do C-h k on
the C- version of the key to avoid emacs' default
remapping of the key.)

Regards,
  David V.

* Re: Emacs does not recognise the shift key as a modifier.
@ 2003-10-30 19:21       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-10-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> or kp-prior.  Hint:  To see the key name, do C-h k on
> the C- version of the key to avoid emacs' default
> remapping of the key.)

In Emacs-CVS, C-h k will directly give you that info,