all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to highlight the right-margin column?
@ 2003-03-25 15:06 Eric Pement
From: Eric Pement @ 2003-03-25 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on Win2K system:

I would like to have, in text mode, an option to toggle the display
of the right margin line. In particular, I'd like to be able to
toggle the background color of the current fill-column to display
a vertical stripe in my editing window, thus showing where the text
is in proportion to the right margin (fill-column) setting.

Has this been done before, and if so, can anyone point me to how
to do it?  I've checked M-x apropos, both FAQs, EmacsWIKI, and the
google archives of this newsgroup, and haven't found the answer
yet. Thanks in advance for any assistance or pointers.

Kind regards,

Eric Pement - pemente[at]northpark[dot]edu

* Re: How to highlight the right-margin column?
@ 2003-03-26 16:58 ` Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2003-03-26 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

try this package:

http://www.cpqd.com.br/~vinicius/emacs/

or

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sandip+group:gnu.emacs.sources&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=Kykh7.6465%24sa.2682126%40news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com&rnum=1

@ 2003-03-31 17:49   ` Eric Pement
From: Eric Pement @ 2003-03-31 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

sandipchitale@yahoo.com (Sandip Chitale) wrote in message news:<b607d812.0303260858.e290467@posting.google.com>...
> try this package:
>
> http://www.cpqd.com.br/~vinicius/emacs/

    I don't see anything on this page that helps me.

> or
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sandip+group:gnu.emacs.sources&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=Kykh7.6465%24sa.2682126%40news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com&rnum=1

   I installed this script in my .emacs file, and when I did,
something unexpected happened. Of course, that may come because
I cannot read eLisp that well.

   I got a new command, M-x highlight-column (which I didn't see
embedded anywhere in the code). This highlights the text on the
current column where the point is located FOR THAT SCREENFUL.
But if you page-up or page-down, there is no highlighting on the
screen. The background highlighting stays persistent only on the
lines which composed the screen when highlight-column was first
invoked.

   Is that the intended behavior? If so, it's not exactly what
I was looking for. I want the fill-column to be highlighted
regardless of where I am in the file, including spaces which
do not contain any actual text. But thanks for helping out. If
I could get a particular column to be highlighted throughout
the file, that would be great. TIA.

Eric Pement