all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* recentf.el and listing recently visited files
@ 2003-03-14 19:21 Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-03-14 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all:

I really like recentf.el and use it quite frequently. I do however have a
few questions:
1. Would it be possible to make entries timeout after some period of time?
After a few days or something like that, the list would drop files.

2. How does the recentf-list update? Is it possible to have recentf-list
update whenever a new file is opened regardless of which emacs window it is
opened in?

Example: I have one emacs window open. I then open a second emacs window for
some temporary work. I would like the recentf-list to update and show the
file(from second window) in the original window list. Is this possible?

Thanks In Advance.

* Re: recentf.el and listing recently visited files
@ 2003-03-15  0:43 ` Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2003-03-15  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Javier,

I had hacked the recentf.el so that it takes into account
the file-name-history variable. Thus all files opened using
the find-file (and it's variants) also get added to the
recent files list.

My changes were top of the following version of recentf.el :

;; Author: David Ponce <david@dponce.com>
;; Created: July 19 1999

Here are the changed defuns:

(defun recentf-add-file (filename)
  "Add or move FILENAME at the beginning of `recentf-list'.
Does nothing if FILENAME matches one of the `recentf-exclude' regexps."
  (let ((filename (expand-file-name filename)))
    (when (recentf-include-p filename)
      (setq recentf-list (cons filename (delete filename recentf-list)))
      (setq file-name-history (cons filename (delete filename file-name-history)))
      (setq recentf-update-menu-p t))))
:
:
(defun recentf-find-file (filename)
  "Edit file FILENAME using `find-file'.
If FILENAME is not readable it is removed from `recentf-list'."
  (if (file-readable-p filename)
      (progn
	(find-file filename)
	(setq file-name-history (cons filename file-name-history))
	)
    (progn
      (message "File `%s' not found." filename)
      (setq recentf-list (delete filename recentf-list))
      (setq recentf-update-menu-p t))))
:
:
(defun recentf-add-file (filename)
  "Add or move FILENAME at the beginning of `recentf-list'.
Does nothing if FILENAME matches one of the `recentf-exclude' regexps."
  (let ((filename (expand-file-name filename)))
    (when (recentf-include-p filename)
      (setq recentf-list (cons filename (delete filename recentf-list)))
      (setq file-name-history (cons filename (delete filename file-name-history)))
      (setq recentf-update-menu-p t))))

HTH,
sandip

@ 2003-03-16 12:43 Hans Larsen
From: Hans Larsen @ 2003-03-16 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I replaced recentf.el by session.el long time ago.

Cheers
-Hans

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:21:20 -0500
From: "Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: recentf.el and listing recently visited files
Message: 8

@ 2003-03-17 15:26   ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-03-17 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sandip,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your functions but they don't seem handle the
cases that I want covered.

What I have noticed is that when I close emacs, the recentf-list
updates....the list gets written. I noticed a undesirable behavior with
this. Let say that I have two emacs session open. In one I open foo.c and in
the other I open bar.c (both happen to be in the same directory). When I
close the session with foo.c I then see foo.c added to the recentf-list. I
then close the second session with bar.c and I see bar.c written to the list
but I no longer see foo.c. It seems to have been deleted from the list.

First, I think that once a file is written, it should be saved. Is it
possible to have the list update as soon as any file is opened in any emacs
window? Once the list has updated, any emacs window should be able to now
see the new recently visited file.

Do you functions handle this case?

Thanks for your help.

@ 2003-03-17 16:40     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-03-17 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Javier Oviedo wrote:

>  Sandip,
>
>  Thanks for your reply. I tried your functions but they don't seem handle
>  the cases that I want covered.
>
>  What I have noticed is that when I close emacs, the recentf-list
>  updates....the list gets written. I noticed a undesirable behavior with
>  this. Let say that I have two emacs session open. In one I open foo.c and
>  in the other I open bar.c (both happen to be in the same directory). When I
>  close the session with foo.c I then see foo.c added to the recentf-list. I
>  then close the second session with bar.c and I see bar.c written to the
>  list but I no longer see foo.c. It seems to have been deleted from the
>  list.
>
>  First, I think that once a file is written, it should be saved. Is it
>  possible to have the list update as soon as any file is opened in any emacs
>  window? Once the list has updated, any emacs window should be able to now
>  see the new recently visited file.

Yes, recentf.el works not well in scenarios where more than one Emacs-instance
is opened - in such a scenario always that one "wins" (means overwrites the
recentf-file) which is closed at last.

recentf.el is designed to work well with one emacs-instance - IMHO a scenario
which you should follow. IMHO there are not really many reasons why to use
more than one Emacs instance because you can use several frames and for
command-line using you can use gnuclient etc....

To handle a recent-file-list correct with more than one independent
Emacs-instances could be done as follows:
After every new file opening this must be written down to the file and every
emacs-instance has to react to this event - could be done maybe with the
mechanisms of auto-revert-mode....in general it seems to so easy...

BTW: I suppose that you meant in your first posting not "Emacs windows" but
"Emacs instances", right?!

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: recentf.el and listing recently visited files
@ 2003-03-17 16:50       ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-03-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Mar 2003, Klaus Berndl wrote:

>  On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Javier Oviedo wrote:
>
> >  Sandip,
> >
> >  Thanks for your reply. I tried your functions but they don't seem handle
> >  the cases that I want covered.
> >
> >  What I have noticed is that when I close emacs, the recentf-list
> >  updates....the list gets written. I noticed a undesirable behavior with
> >  this. Let say that I have two emacs session open. In one I open foo.c and
> >  in the other I open bar.c (both happen to be in the same directory). When
> >  I close the session with foo.c I then see foo.c added to the
> >  recentf-list. I then close the second session with bar.c and I see bar.c
> >  written to the list but I no longer see foo.c. It seems to have been
> >  deleted from the list.
> >
> >  First, I think that once a file is written, it should be saved. Is it
> >  possible to have the list update as soon as any file is opened in any
> >  emacs window? Once the list has updated, any emacs window should be able
> >  to now see the new recently visited file.
>
>  Yes, recentf.el works not well in scenarios where more than one
>  Emacs-instance is opened - in such a scenario always that one "wins" (means
>  overwrites the recentf-file) which is closed at last.
>
>  recentf.el is designed to work well with one emacs-instance - IMHO a
>  scenario which you should follow. IMHO there are not really many reasons
>  why to use more than one Emacs instance because you can use several frames
>  and for command-line using you can use gnuclient etc....
>
>  To handle a recent-file-list correct with more than one independent
>  Emacs-instances could be done as follows: After every new file opening this
>  must be written down to the file and every emacs-instance has to react to
>  this event - could be done maybe with the mechanisms of
>  auto-revert-mode....in general it seems to so easy...
                                           ^^
                                   I meant NOT

--

@ 2003-03-17 17:52       ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-03-17 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus,

Yes, I meant instances...thanks for the correction. I think that I will
follow your advice.

@ 2003-03-17 20:25     ` Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2003-03-17 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh...I see. What you want is synchronization of
changes to the recentf-save-file.

No, my functions do not do that.

What you want may be slightly more difficult.
I do not know if emacs has an efficient mechanism
(i.e. not based on polling) to monitor changes to files on disk.

One approach may be:

1. Before showing the entries to the user the recentf package could
check the timestamp of the recentf-save-file. If
it is later than the time it was last read it could reread the file.

2. Similarly Before writing out the entries to the recentf-save-file
the entries of the current session should be merged with what is
on the disk.

-sandip