all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp hangs/freezes when opening some remote files over ssh on Ubuntu 14.04 client.
@ 2015-01-21  2:41 Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2015-01-21  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've confirmed the following problem happens even with emacs -q....

I can ssh to a remote server.

I can traverse remote server directories with local Emacs Tramp.

When I try to open some files it freezes with messages like the following...

   Tramp: Inserting `/ssh:cs@philfour.com:/home/cs/Ws/philfour/mvc/views/booklist.html'...done

I can't see debug output when I add (setq tramp-verbose 500)
to .emacs because when I try to open remote file with Tramp
it freezes?!!?

I found some discussion about issues with Ubuntu 14.04 here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17588136/emacs-24-3-1-tramp-hangs-on-opening-file

I tried adding following to .ssh/config like it said but it didn't fix....

Host philfour.com
ControlMaster auto
ControlPath ~/.ssh/%r@%h:%p
ServerAliveCountMax=30
ServerAliveInterval=5

I suspect this persons Tramp problems on Ubuntu 14.04 are related...

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2014-September/010172.html

Any help great appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chris Seberino