all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tab and space
@ 2003-03-16  4:41 cyrus
From: cyrus @ 2003-03-16  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When I open an emacs created file in notepad I see more spaces for tab and
regular space. How can I set these to be the same as what you'd see in
notepad? I have looked at every variable and can't find out.

Thanks

* Re: tab and space
@ 2003-03-16 19:14 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2003-03-16 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"cyrus" <cyrus@cyrus.com> writes:

> When I open an emacs created file in notepad I see more spaces for tab and
> regular space. How can I set these to be the same as what you'd see in
> notepad? I have looked at every variable and can't find out.

Try (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil).  Then, your future
emacs-created files will use only spaces to indent, and there's no
issue of how another editors interprets a tab, since there shouldn't
be any TAB characters in your documents anymore.  Although I have no
idea why you'd ever want to use another editor. :)
--
Benjamin

* Re: tab and space
@ 2003-03-24 21:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-24 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"cyrus" <cyrus@cyrus.com> writes:

> When I open an emacs created file in notepad I see more spaces for tab and
> regular space. How can I set these to be the same as what you'd see in
> notepad? I have looked at every variable and can't find out.

By default, Emacs assumes that tab characters are eight columns
wide.  You can frob the variable tab-width to change this.  So by
default, a followed by TAB followed by b is shown as follows:

a       b

And if you set tab-width to 4, the same three characters are shown
like this:

a   b