all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 15:30 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-12-03 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I seem to have deleted some files in the Emacs bzr trunk for
unresolved reason at revno:102572 .  I restored those files,
but I might have done it in a wrong way.  Sorry.

At that time I merged Gnus changes to the Emacs trunk as usual,
never did unusual operation.  Hmm..

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 18:32 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-12-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: emacs-devel

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> I seem to have deleted some files in the Emacs bzr trunk for
> unresolved reason at revno:102572 .  I restored those files,
> but I might have done it in a wrong way.  Sorry.
>
> At that time I merged Gnus changes to the Emacs trunk as usual,
> never did unusual operation.  Hmm..

You dropped the exec bit on several of the files.  I've put them back,
but could you double check?  In particular, check that all the files you
deleted and then restored have the correct permissions.

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 21:41   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-12-03 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

Now when I do eg `bzr log configure.in', I only get entries starting
from today, not the rest of the history. :(

Is this how it is supposed to work?

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 22:07   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-03 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

>> I seem to have deleted some files in the Emacs bzr trunk for
>> unresolved reason at revno:102572 .  I restored those files,
>> but I might have done it in a wrong way.  Sorry.
>>
>> At that time I merged Gnus changes to the Emacs trunk as usual,
>> never did unusual operation.  Hmm..

> You dropped the exec bit on several of the files.  I've put them back,
> but could you double check?  In particular, check that all the files you
> deleted and then restored have the correct permissions.

He also gave them different file-ids.  So we should re-remove them and
then re-add them with "bzr add --file-ids-from" some older branch.
Or maybe just with something like "bzr merge -r 102572..102571".

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 22:15     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-12-03 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> He also gave them different file-ids.  So we should re-remove them and
> then re-add them with "bzr add --file-ids-from" some older branch.
> Or maybe just with something like "bzr merge -r 102572..102571".

Plain old `bzr revert -r LAST-GOOD-REV configure.in' _seems_ to work...

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 22:16     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-12-03 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Now when I do eg `bzr log configure.in', I only get entries starting
> from today, not the rest of the history. :(
>
> Is this how it is supposed to work?

Hmm, that's bad.  I didn't realize the files had been restored by adding
new files, rather than using `bzr revert'.  Thanks for the catch.

To fix this, I reverted to revision 102571, then replayed the subsequent
commits (102574, 102577, and a fixed version of 102572).

Now the history is back.  I hope I haven't screwed up yet another thing
in the process.

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 22:50       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-03 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

>> He also gave them different file-ids.  So we should re-remove them and
>> then re-add them with "bzr add --file-ids-from" some older branch.
>> Or maybe just with something like "bzr merge -r 102572..102571".
> Plain old `bzr revert -r LAST-GOOD-REV configure.in' _seems_ to work...

Could be that it works as well, but "bzr merge -r 102572..102571" is the
standard way to undo a commit (and before committing this undo, you can
of course edit as much as you want so as to only undo part of the
commit, or add new changes on top of the undo, ...).  And it will show
you conflicts so you know where you need to check that you're not
accidentally undoing more than expected.

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-03 23:13         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-12-03 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Could be that it works as well, but "bzr merge -r 102572..102571" is the
> standard way to undo a commit

I'm a luddite - I've never used the merge command.

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-04  1:22           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-04  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

>> Could be that it works as well, but "bzr merge -r 102572..102571" is the
>> standard way to undo a commit
> I'm a luddite - I've never used the merge command.

;-)

Every VCS has a way to "apply a set of changes".
In cvs, you'd have done something like:

  cvs diff -r 102572 -r 102571 | patch -p0

"revert" is a command that disregards the starting point, so it's more
likely to result in data loss.

* Re: Emacs trunk
@ 2010-12-05 12:22       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-12-05 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Now the history is back.  I hope I haven't screwed up yet another thing
> in the process.

Thank you very much for fixing it!

Best regards,

;; I've no more than a superficial knowledge on bzr, so must learn
;; more.  Maybe I'd better have a bzr server locally for practicing.