Hi, I realized that a certain defcustom form is unable to customize a user option. To reproduce this, evaluate the following form, perform M-x customize-option, and press the [INS] button. (defcustom foo nil "Doc" :type '(repeat (group (group :inline t (choice string function))))) Then you will find a funny thing there and see it is unable to edit. After some investigations I found this is due to `widget-default-get', that fails to get the default value of components within an inlined form (I mean (bar :inline t ...)). A patch is attached, not tested with all sorts of defcustom forms though.