On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 00:44:28 +0800, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson wrote: > A mail that contains this header > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit; > causes Gnus to issue the following warning: > Unknown encoding 8bit;; defaulting to 8bit > This means that Gnus doesn't know the encoding method named: > 8bit; > Note that this is not "8bit", but "8bit;". I found it in a mail that Dan Jacobson sent to me as an example. > This is due to a bug of a certain mail software. Gnus does no bad. > But it is easy and harmless to make Gnus fix it, so, I think we had > better do something like the above workaround if it generally happens. A partial[1] patch is below. `ietf-drums-strip' is an aliasee of `mail-header-strip' that the following modules use in Emacs: lisp/gnus/gnus-art.el lisp/gnus/gnus-sum.el lisp/gnus/mm-decode.el lisp/gnus/nndoc.el lisp/mh-e/mh-mime.el The purpose of it is all to clean up a string value of the Content-Transfer-Encoding header of a mail. So, we can make `ietf-drums-strip' remove some garbage, such as ";", in addition to comments and whitespace. However, other programs outside of Emacs might be using it for different purposes. This is why I added the new function `mail-header-strip-cte' that is assumed to be exclusively used for cleaning up C-T-E string. [1] When I install the patch, I will replace `mail-header-strip' in the modules listed above with `mail-header-strip-cte' as well. Regards,