all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Harshdeep Jawanda <hsjawanda@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: emacs question
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:40:57 -0700	[thread overview]

Now that this topic has been brought up, it reminds to ask for a
solution to a problem I've been facing for a while.

I have the following entries in my .emacs file:

  (global-set-key [C-down] '"\C-u1\C-v")
  (global-set-key [C-up] '"\C-u1\M-v")

These key combinations are meant to scroll the buffer up or down when
I press the up-arrow or down-arrow, respectively, while holding the
Ctrl key (C-l is not good enough at times).

This works perfectly when I am using Emacs directly on computer I am
sitting at (Win XP, Win 2K and Debian Linux; would it be correct to
say "working at the console"?).

But when I am using emacs over an SSH connection (using putty;
connecting from home/office computer to university computers), this
doesn't work.

Any ideas why?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:04:56 -0200, Rodrigo Canellas
<r.canellas@terra.com.br> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In your .emacs, to map a key to a command, you can do like this;
>
> (global-set-key [<KEY_ID>] '<COMMAND>)
>
> where <KEY-ID> should be replaced with the identifier of the key, and
> <COMMAND> should be replaced with the command you want to be executed when
> <KEY-ID> is pressed.
>
> For example,
>
> (global-set-key [f9] 'compile)
>
> would run the "compile" command when "F9" is pressed.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> BTW, by your name I presume you speak portuguese, right?
>
> Em Terça 14 Dezembro 2004 17:45, Villa, Maria (HBO) escreveu:
> > Hi
> > I have few users that uses regular emacs on our aix unix servers.
> >
> > They have a problem when want to delete a character or word, the backspace
> > key does not work.
> > how can we map a key to work with e-macs or how can we solve this problem
> >
> > your help is appreciated.....
> >
> > ===========================================================================
> >=== This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees.  Any
> > copying, forwarding, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons other
> > than the addressees is not authorized.  This e-mail may contain information
> > that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure.  If you are
> > not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by return e-mail
> > (including the original message in your reply) and then delete and discard
> > all copies of the e-mail.  Thank you.

> > Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra.
> > Scan engine: McAfee VirusScan / Atualizado em 14/12/2004 / Versão: 4.4.00 -
> > Dat 4414 Proteja o seu e-mail Terra:
> > http://www.emailprotegido.terra.com.br/
>
> --
> Rodrigo Canellas
> Engenheiro de Sistemas de Informação

Harshdeep S Jawanda

   - 'Mahatma' Gandhi.

EGOTIST (n): A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in
me.
   - Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"