all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* alt and menu bar
@ 2003-03-06 15:49 Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-03-06 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all.

I'm using emacs 21.2.1 on winXP.

I would like to use the alt + F, for example, to pull down the "File" menu.
My goal to is generalize this for all menu options in the menu bar for
emacs. Can this be dine? Is so, how?

Thanks in advance!

Javier

* Re: alt and menu bar
@ 2003-03-06 15:54 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2003-03-06 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Javier,

"Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I would like to use the alt + F, for example, to pull down the "File" menu.
> My goal to is generalize this for all menu options in the menu bar for
> emacs. Can this be dine? Is so, how?

I don't think it is a good idea, since the M-f key is already bound to
`forward-word' (a very common command).  If you want to browse the
menu without the mouse, use <f10> instead.

regards,

--
Bastien

* Re: alt and menu bar
@ 2003-03-06 16:04   ` Javier Oviedo
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3108.1047429228.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-03-06 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not to particular on the which key to use, I just want the feature. I
can I bind the feature I want to a particular key. I use the alt example,
because it is a common windows feature.

"Bastien Guerry" <bastien1@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi Javier,
>
> "Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to use the alt + F, for example, to pull down the "File"
menu.
> > My goal to is generalize this for all menu options in the menu bar for
> > emacs. Can this be dine? Is so, how?
>
> I don't think it is a good idea, since the M-f key is already bound to
> `forward-word' (a very common command).  If you want to browse the
> menu without the mouse, use <f10> instead.
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Bastien

* Re: alt and menu bar
@ 2003-03-06 22:59   ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-03-06 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien Guerry wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> "Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to use the alt + F, for example, to pull down the "File" menu.
>> My goal to is generalize this for all menu options in the menu bar for
>> emacs. Can this be dine? Is so, how?

not in gnu emacs.  see xemacs.

--
Le

* Re: alt and menu bar
@ 2003-03-12  0:20     ` Jeffery B. Rancier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3108.1047429228.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-03-12  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm not to particular on the which key to use, I just want the feature. I
> can I bind the feature I want to a particular key. I use the alt example,
> because it is a common windows feature.

I rarely use the mouse other sliding it off my desk to get it out my
way!  I use control-tab to call the following function to quickly
highlight the menubar.  I often miss F10.

(defun jbr-w32-simulate-Alt-tap ()
  (interactive)
  (w32-send-sys-command 61696))

(global-set-key [C-tab] 'jbr-w32-simulate-Alt-tap)

* Re: alt and menu bar
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3108.1047429228.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-12 14:26       ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-03-12 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

That did the job perfectly. I think that more people might find this useful.
You should post it in gnu.emacs.sources

Thanks.