all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 24: showing the values of options in Customize buffers?
@ 2013-07-06 13:25 Raffaele Ricciardi
       [not found] ` <mailman.411.1373117721.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2013-07-06 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everyone,

up to Emacs 23, Customize buffers showed the value of each option.  In
Emacs 24, to see the value of an option, you must click on the
triangle-shaped button on the left of that option.  As I prefer the
old behaviour, I've searched the Customize customization group for an
option to restore it, but I didn't find anything.  Did I miss it?  If
such an option is not available, could I use in Emacs 24 the
customization libraries from Emacs 23?

Thank you.

* Re: Emacs 24: showing the values of options in Customize buffers?
@ 2013-07-06 13:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.411.1373117721.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 15:25:03 +0200
>
> up to Emacs 23, Customize buffers showed the value of each option.  In
> Emacs 24, to see the value of an option, you must click on the
> triangle-shaped button on the left of that option.

Which option behaves like that?  Do you see this in "emacs -Q"?

I cannot reproduce this in "emacs -Q" using the latest release 24.3 of
Emacs.

@ 2013-07-06 13:46   ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2013-07-06 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 06/07/13 15:35, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Which option behaves like that?

All options.

 > Do you see this in "emacs -Q"?

Yes, I do. It is expected behaviour: "M-x view-emacs-news" and then
search for "options in".  I'm quoting the passage here:

"*** Options in customize group buffers start out hidden if not
customized.  Use the arrow to the left of the option name to toggle
visibility."

* Re: Emacs 24: showing the values of options in Customize buffers?
@ 2013-07-06 14:02     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.413.1373119364.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <<83fvvryef7.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-06 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 15:46:46 +0200
>
> "*** Options in customize group buffers start out hidden if not
> customized.  Use the arrow to the left of the option name to toggle
> visibility."

In _customize_group_buffers_...  Now I see the missing detail.  You
said "Customize buffers" in your original message.

I tried "M-x customize-variable RET", which shows a single variable,
and there the value is not hidden.

So one work-around would be to customize options directly, not via
customize-group.

@ 2013-07-06 14:23       ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2013-07-06 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 06/07/13 16:02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> In _customize_group_buffers_...  Now I see the missing detail.  You
> said "Customize buffers" in your original message.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

> So one work-around would be to customize options directly, not via
> customize-group.

Well... I seldom know which variable I'm supposed to customize to
achieve a specific customization, therefore I'd prefer to keep using
Customize groups.  Thank you for your suggestion, though.

@ 2013-07-06 18:44       ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <mailman.437.1373136279.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-07-06 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > "*** Options in customize group buffers start out hidden if not
> > customized.  Use the arrow to the left of the option name to toggle
> > visibility."
>
> ...one work-around would be to customize options directly, not via
> customize-group.

Raffaele:

`M-x report-emacs-bug'.  That is for bug reports and enhancement requests.

@ 2013-07-06 20:50         ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2013-07-06 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 06/07/13 20:44, Drew Adams wrote:

> Raffaele:
>
> `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  That is for bug reports and enhancement requests.

Done.  Thanks for your suggestion.