all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to input opening quote (inverted single quote)?
@ 2006-09-06  1:42 Ryo
From: Ryo @ 2006-09-06  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I'm wondering whether it's possible to input an opening single
quotation mark (inverted quotation mark) on emacs. I'm using
emacs 21.4 on Debian GNU/Linux (testing).

In HTML, you can get the character using "‘"
For example, "‘hello’" is displayed as
`hello' but with a nice inverted opening quotation mark.

I'd like to compose email messages containing some Hawaiian
words, some of which require inverted single quatation marks
to indicate glottal stops, such as "Hawai`i".  Other special
characters such as "a" ("a" with a macron or bar on its top)
can be input in the latin-4-postfix mode of emacs.  (I looked
at Latin-1, -2, -3, and -4 coding set, but I don't think
there's an inverted quotation mark included in them.)

Thanks,
Ryo