all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Removing faces when yanking to comint
@ 2011-01-30 21:40 Earl Wagner
From: Earl Wagner @ 2011-01-30 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I often copy and yank lines from other buffers into the shell (running
in shell-mode, extended from comint-mode I think). These lines often
have face attributes such as specific colors for comments, strings,
etc. The problem is that they preserve these colors when run as
commands. Then, every time I retrieve and re-run the comint-input
command, it retains its original face.

Is there anyway to strip the face attributes from text yanked in the
shell (comint-mode)?

Thanks for any help with this.

-Earl

* Re: Removing faces when yanking to comint
@ 2011-01-31 20:54 ` Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1296512287.9907.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2011-01-31 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Earl Wagner <dont.spam.earl@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I often copy and yank lines from other buffers into the shell (running
> in shell-mode, extended from comint-mode I think). These lines often
> have face attributes such as specific colors for comments, strings,
> etc. The problem is that they preserve these colors when run as
> commands. Then, every time I retrieve and re-run the comint-input
> command, it retains its original face.
>
> Is there anyway to strip the face attributes from text yanked in the
> shell (comint-mode)?

Maybe have a look at the variable yank-excluded-properties

,----[ C-h v yank-excluded-properties RET ]
| yank-excluded-properties is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
| Its value is
| (read-only invisible intangible field mouse-face help-echo local-map keymap yank-handler follow-link fontified)
|

| Documentation:
| Text properties to discard when yanking.
| The value should be a list of text properties to discard or t,
| which means to discard all text properties.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 22.1 of Emacs.
|
| [back]
`----

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Removing faces when yanking to comint
@ 2011-01-31 22:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1296512287.9907.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-01-31 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/30/11 2:40 PM, Earl Wagner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I often copy and yank lines from other buffers into the shell (running
> in shell-mode, extended from comint-mode I think). These lines often
> have face attributes such as specific colors for comments, strings,
> etc. The problem is that they preserve these colors when run as
> commands. Then, every time I retrieve and re-run the comint-input
> command, it retains its original face.
>
> Is there anyway to strip the face attributes from text yanked in the
> shell (comint-mode)?

How about:

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
	  (lambda () (set (make-local-variable 'yank-excluded-properties) t)))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2011-02-01  1:13   ` Earl Wagner
From: Earl Wagner @ 2011-02-01  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin, Tim,

Yes, that's just what I was looking for.  Thanks!

-Earl