all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Cc: gnu-emacs@gentoo.org
Subject: Re: Where should dynamic modules be installed?
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 17:31:30 -0700	[thread overview]

On 10/21/19 3:45 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> We are going to include the first package with a dynamically loaded
> module (emacs-libvterm) in Gentoo. The question arose where the .so file
> should be installed? Since it is a system dependent binary, installing
> it under /usr/share/emacs/ looks wrong. I cannot find anything about a
> recommended install location in the documentation.

There isn't one. We haven't thought through the issues here. Thanks for
bringing up the topic.

> Would /usr/lib{,64}/emacs/site-modules/ be a reasonable place for this?

Where do you put executables like hexl, movemail, and profile? I suggest
puting .so files near there. In Fedora 30, this directory is
/usr/libexec/emacs/26.2/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (which is the value of
the exec-directory variable). Since modules can be version-specific, it
makes sense to have the Emacs version number somewhere in the directory
name. Do you do that with other Emacs directories?

Also, why have "site-" in the name? Do you have "site-" in other
Emacs-related directory names?

> Also, wouldn't it be cleaner if Emacs had a separate variable (analog to
> image-load-path, custom-theme-load-path, etc.) for loading of dynamic
> modules, instead of reusing load-path?

Emacs should do that, yes. How about if we use a variable named
'module-directory' for that? It would work like exec-directory, except
for modules.

I expect that the main reason Emacs doesn't have a variable like
module-directory now, is that packagers haven't yet encountered the
Emacs module system (it has been off by default, though that will change
in Emacs 27) and so haven't run into problems like the one you mention.