all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Remove all indentation - how to?
@ 2003-02-07 21:14 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2003-02-07 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The reason I want this simplicity is that I want my HTML to read
> exactly as I typed it within View Source, not according to a
> particular browser's default TAB width. The only way to achieve
> this is to eschew TABs in favour of spaces.

Adding (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) to your .emacs file
should do this.

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
oconnor@soe.ucsd.edu

* Remove all indentation - how to?
@ 2003-02-07 21:15 Garry
From: Garry @ 2003-02-07 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a simple HTML monkey, not a die-hard C programmer :-)

All I want is for Emacs to do something really simple like start each
new line of my code from the left margin when I press RETURN, not
according to its default TAB criteria. I've had a good look through the
manual so, please, no RTFM. Can't find anything pertaining to removing
auto-indentation. I tried

('indent-tab-mode nil)

.... inside my custom variables section of .emacs but to no avail.

The reason I want this simplicity is that I want my HTML to read exactly
as I typed it within View Source, not according to a particular
browser's default TAB width. The only way to achieve this is to eschew
TABs in favour of spaces.

Garry Heaton

* Re: Remove all indentation - how to?
@ 2003-02-08 19:49   ` Garry
From: Garry @ 2003-02-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward O'Connor wrote:
>>The reason I want this simplicity is that I want my HTML to read
>>exactly as I typed it within View Source, not according to a
>>particular browser's default TAB width. The only way to achieve
>>this is to eschew TABs in favour of spaces.
>

> Adding (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) to your .emacs file
> should do this.
>

> Ted

Did it but to no avail. For example, if I press RET at the end of a line
of HTML which began with an indented <td> Emacs automatically begins the
next line beneath the previous tag. I don't want this.

Garry

* Re: Remove all indentation - how to?
@ 2003-02-08 20:40     ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2003-02-08 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

G> Did it but to no avail. For example, if I press RET at the end of a line
G> of HTML which began with an indented <td> Emacs automatically begins the
G> next line beneath the previous tag. I don't want this.

(local-set-key "\C-m" 'newline) in the html-mode that you use.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: Remove all indentation - how to?
@ 2003-02-08 21:17       ` Garry
From: Garry @ 2003-02-08 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> G> Did it but to no avail. For example, if I press RET at the end of a line
> G> of HTML which began with an indented <td> Emacs automatically begins the
> G> next line beneath the previous tag. I don't want this.
>
> (local-set-key "\C-m" 'newline) in the html-mode that you use.

I appended this to my html-helper-mode.el but Emacs still indents
beneath the preceding tag.

My .emacs file can be viewed at:

www.usableit.co.uk/emacs.txt

Garry

* Re: Remove all indentation - how to?
@ 2003-02-09  1:30         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-02-09  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

 G> Did it but to no avail. For example, if I press RET at the end of
 G> a line of HTML which began with an indented <td> Emacs
 G> automatically begins the next line beneath the previous tag. I
 G> don't want this.
 >>
 >> (local-set-key "\C-m" 'newline) in the html-mode that you use.

 Garry> I appended this to my html-helper-mode.el but Emacs still
 Garry> indents beneath the preceding tag.

I think you need to put the local-set-key in a load hook for
html-helper.el, not in html-helper.el itself. You want this value set
locally for buffers in html-helper-mode. Try something like

(add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook (lambda ()
                                    (local-set-key "\C-m" 'newline)))

The objective of this above load hook is to change the definition of
RETURN from newline-and-indent to newline. Once you have added this
hook and start a new html file using html-helper-mode (not an existing
html-helper-mode buffer as the load hook only runs when the mode is
loaded), try C-h k <return> to see what is bound to the return key -
it should be just the function newline, not newline-and-indent..

If it is bound to just newline and you still find your code indenting
to the same level as the previous line etc - then its probably due to
one of the fill modes which you may also need to disable.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Remove all indentation - how to?
@ 2003-02-09 22:01           ` Garry
From: Garry @ 2003-02-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X wrote:

>  Garry> Piet van Oostrum wrote:
>  >>>>>>> Garry <none@none.com> (G) wrote:
>  >>>>>>
>  >>
>  G> Did it but to no avail. For example, if I press RET at the end of
>  G> a line of HTML which began with an indented <td> Emacs
>  G> automatically begins the next line beneath the previous tag. I
>  G> don't want this.
>  >>
>  >> (local-set-key "\C-m" 'newline) in the html-mode that you use.
>
>  Garry> I appended this to my html-helper-mode.el but Emacs still
>  Garry> indents beneath the preceding tag.
>
> I think you need to put the local-set-key in a load hook for
> html-helper.el, not in html-helper.el itself. You want this value set
> locally for buffers in html-helper-mode. Try something like
>
> (add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook (lambda ()
>                                     (local-set-key "\C-m" 'newline)))
>
> The objective of this above load hook is to change the definition of
> RETURN from newline-and-indent to newline. Once you have added this
> hook and start a new html file using html-helper-mode (not an existing
> html-helper-mode buffer as the load hook only runs when the mode is
> loaded), try C-h k <return> to see what is bound to the return key -
> it should be just the function newline, not newline-and-indent..
>
> If it is bound to just newline and you still find your code indenting
> to the same level as the previous line etc - then its probably due to
> one of the fill modes which you may also need to disable.
>
> Tim

Tim, you're a genius. Now I can grow my hair back :-)

Garry