all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* info anchor not working in emacs23
@ 2010-05-18  0:19 Renny John
From: Renny John @ 2010-05-18  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wrote some documentation in info using emacs23.
Had an @xref{fhv001,,Text}. point to an @anchor{fhv001}
Made an info file [No errors]
But when I read the info file in emacs, the cross reference gives me
the error "No such anchor or node".
The cross-reference works fine in the info program run from the
terminal.
Tested on Macintosh and Ubuntu with the same results.
How can I make this work in emacs?

* Re: info anchor not working in emacs23
@ 2010-05-19  8:21 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-05-19  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Renny John <jdak07@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote some documentation in info using emacs23.
> Had an @xref{fhv001,,Text}. point to an @anchor{fhv001}
> Made an info file [No errors]
> But when I read the info file in emacs, the cross reference gives me
> the error "No such anchor or node".
> The cross-reference works fine in the info program run from the
> terminal.
> Tested on Macintosh and Ubuntu with the same results.
> How can I make this work in emacs?

This sounds like a bug in Emacs.  Could you construct a minimal texinfo
file which illustrates the problem, then post it with a bug report to
bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: info anchor not working in emacs23
@ 2010-05-21 15:54   ` Renny John
From: Renny John @ 2010-05-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 19, 4:21 am, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> Renny John <jda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wrote some documentation in info using emacs23.
> > Had an @xref{fhv001,,Text}. point to an @anchor{fhv001}
> > Made an info file [No errors]
> > But when I read the info file in emacs, the cross reference gives me
> > the error "No such anchor or node".
> > The cross-reference works fine in the info program run from the
> > terminal.
> > Tested on Macintosh and Ubuntu with the same results.
> > How can I make this work in emacs?
>
> This sounds like a bug in Emacs.  Could you construct a minimal texinfo
> file which illustrates the problem, then post it with a bug report to
> bug-gnu-em...@gnu.org?
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Thanks Alan.
I will try my best to post a bug report.
I hope my level of expertise will get the bug report meet the criteria
for bug reporting.

* Re: info anchor not working in emacs23
@ 2010-05-22 21:54   ` Renny John
From: Renny John @ 2010-05-22 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 19, 4:21 am, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> Renny John <jda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wrote some documentation in info using emacs23.
> > Had an @xref{fhv001,,Text}. point to an @anchor{fhv001}
> > Made an info file [No errors]
> > But when I read the info file in emacs, the cross reference gives me
> > the error "No such anchor or node".
> > The cross-reference works fine in the info program run from the
> > terminal.
> > Tested on Macintosh and Ubuntu with the same results.
> > How can I make this work in emacs?
>
> This sounds like a bug in Emacs.  Could you construct a minimal texinfo
> file which illustrates the problem, then post it with a bug report to
> bug-gnu-em...@gnu.org?
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

posted a bug report.
per reply posted by Glenn Morris, tried from terminal : emacs -Q --
eval '(info "./test.info")'
now its working as expected.

One question remains though -
wouldn't the above be equivalent to doing in emacs?

C-x C-f  ./test.info
M-: (Info-mode)

* Re: info anchor not working in emacs23
@ 2010-05-24  0:40     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-24  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> wouldn't the above be equivalent to doing in emacs?
> C-x C-f  ./test.info
> M-: (Info-mode)

No, not at all.  Calling Info-mode manually will mostly not work.
Info is fairly special in this way (and it's clearly a misfeature).
You can try M-x Info-on-current-buffer which tries to turn a buffer
containing a .info file into a proper and mostly functional Info buffer,
but it's fairly hackish and has various quirks.
Part of the problem is that Info is basically designed around the idea
of accessing various files, so while at any given point it shows you
part of a single file, it is not really bound to a single file in the
same way as a normal file buffer.