all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Creating custom hooks?
@ 2003-01-22  9:19 merik
From: merik @ 2003-01-22  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if it is possible to create a custom hook. In particular
I would like a hook that is triggered whenever any sort of saving is
attempted, whether it be autosaving, (save-buffer) or
(save-buffer-kill-emacs).

thanks,

--
serendipity
merik

* Re: Creating custom hooks?
@ 2003-01-22 10:11 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-01-22 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Jan 2003, merik@cc.gatech.edu wrote:

after-save-hook is called after every saving...a before-save-hook does not
exist...

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: Creating custom hooks?
@ 2003-01-22 11:15   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-01-22 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> On 22 Jan 2003, merik@cc.gatech.edu wrote:
>
> after-save-hook is called after every saving...a before-save-hook does not
> exist...

write-file-functions
write-contents-functions

* Re: Creating custom hooks?
@ 2003-01-22 14:19     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-01-22 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> write-file-functions
> write-contents-functions

For those of you not lucky enough to use the CVS trunk of Emacs development,
those hooks were (incorrectly) called write-file-hooks and
write-content-hooks up until Emacs-21.3.

* Re: Creating custom hooks?
@ 2003-01-22 16:02       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-22 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>> write-file-functions
>> write-contents-functions
>
> For those of you not lucky enough to use the CVS trunk of Emacs development,
> those hooks were (incorrectly) called write-file-hooks and
> write-content-hooks up until Emacs-21.3.

You mean those non-hooks ;-)  Otherwise, why would it be incorrect to
call them hooks...
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Creating custom hooks?
@ 2003-01-22 19:49         ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-01-22 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> write-file-functions
>>> write-contents-functions
>>
>> For those of you not lucky enough to use the CVS trunk of Emacs development,
>> those hooks were (incorrectly) called write-file-hooks and
>> write-content-hooks up until Emacs-21.3.
> You mean those non-hooks ;-)  Otherwise, why would it be incorrect to
> call them hooks...

No, they're hooks, but *a* hook shouldn't be called bla-bla-hooks,
obviously ;-)

        Stefan

PS: Next week, we'll look at why they can be called bla-bla-functions.