On 11/26/2022 6:43 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Never mind, I think I know what's the cause of the problem: I have my > production session of Emacs running on the system ,and it already has the > server started. So a plain call to server-start fails. > > I think you need to modify the tests to ensure the server file is created in > a temporary directory. And keep in mind that the variable which affects > that is different depending on whether server-use-tcp is or isn't non-nil. Hm, I'm surprised the tests failed again for you then. Both of the patches I posted to fix the tests set the 'server-name' to a (hopefully) unique value. Still, I think it's a good idea to use a temporary directory to hold the server file, so here's a patch that does that. I've tried this patch with a production Emacs server running at the same time in several different configurations (with 'server-use-tcp' on and off, and with --daemon), and the tests all pass locally for me on GNU/Linux.