all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: gnuist006@gmail.com
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: replace-regexp-in-region?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:12:04 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Saturday, May 22, 1999 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, kai.gro...@cs.uni-dortmund.de wrote:
> sen_ml@eccosys.com writes:
>
>   > is there a 'replace-regexp-in-region' command?
>
> Emacs offers M-x narrow-to-region RET (bound to C-x n n by default)
> which allows one to restrict all kinds of editing commands to the
> region.  Use M-x widen RET (or C-x n w) when you're done.
>
> From Lisp, the customary way to restrict replacing to a region is to
> use a different mechanism altogether.  There is a replace-regexp
> command, the documentation contains the following lines:
>
> ,----- Excerpt from C-h f replace-regexp RET
> | This function is usually the wrong thing to use in a Lisp program.
> | What you probably want is a loop like this:
> |   (while (re-search-forward REGEXP nil t)
> |     (replace-match TO-STRING nil nil))
> | which will run faster and will not set the mark or print anything.
> `-----

I would like to see the above modified to a working example such that in replace-match a tagged subexpression defined in the REGEXP in re-search-forward is used to limit the match on which replace-match operates.

The problem I am having is that in this part, 1 is not working.

(save-excursion (while
  (search-forward-regexp "START\\(.*\\)END"  )
  (save-match-data (replace-match   (replace-regexp-in-string "."  "Z" (match-string 0)) 1  ))
))

Thanks
Gnuist