all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hiding passwords in password file?
@ 2002-12-07 12:48 Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2002-12-07 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I store most of my passwords (though the really critical ones are only in my
head) in a large file whose format is roughly as follows:
  <some-site-name>:
    login:    <some-login>
    password: <some-password>
Sometimes it happens that I need to look up a password while someone is
looking over my shoulder. Often it is allright if he sees that particular
password. However, I don't want to see him all the other passwords while
browsing the file and only show the selected password, eg. by pressing
certain keys.

Two solutions came into my mind so far:
1. Use some kind of data base approach like eg. forms mode (doesn't look
   like it's capable to do this, though). This would force me to change the
   format of the file but that's no big problem.
2. Use Rot13 on the passwords. That's not very secure but better than
   nothing. In standard EMACS, though, it only seems to be possible to Rot13
   a whole buffer and not a single selection but writing a simple function
   that does this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm using EMACS 21.2.

Any ideas?

Felix