all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* unc paths with cmd.exe on ntemacs
@ 2002-11-26  4:08 Leo
From: Leo @ 2002-11-26  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

in dired when i execute comands via CMD.exe on filesx at UNC paths i get the
error message:

    CMD.EXE was started with '\\linux\linux\var\oldwww\html\basic'
    as the current directory path.  UNC paths are not supported.
    Defaulting to Windows directory.

i guess that's a cmd.exe problem not an emacs problem, but has somebody a
emacs-workaround for that?

ta, leooo

* Re: unc paths with cmd.exe on ntemacs
@ 2002-11-26  6:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-26  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Leo wrote:

> in dired when i execute comands via CMD.exe on filesx at UNC paths i get the
> error message:
>
>     CMD.EXE was started with '\\linux\linux\var\oldwww\html\basic'
>     as the current directory path.  UNC paths are not supported.
>     Defaulting to Windows directory.

That's the first time I hear about a Windows system where CMD.EXE doesn't
support UNCs.  Are you sure that file name is indeed a UNC, i.e. that it
refers to some remote filesystem?

Anyway, a stab in the dark: try using forward slashes, like this:

   "//linux/linux/var/oldwww/html/basic"

(the double quotes around the file name might or might not be important).

* Re: unc paths with cmd.exe on ntemacs
       [not found] <mailman.1038291870.9212.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-26 22:51 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-11-26 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> >     CMD.EXE was started with '\\linux\linux\var\oldwww\html\basic'
> >     as the current directory path.  UNC paths are not supported.
> >     Defaulting to Windows directory.
>
> That's the first time I hear about a Windows system where CMD.EXE doesn't
> support UNCs.

cmd.exe does not support UNC paths as the current working directory.
It supports them everywhere else AFAIK.

* Re: unc paths with cmd.exe on ntemacs
@ 2002-11-27  5:51   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-27  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Jason Rumney wrote:

> cmd.exe does not support UNC paths as the current working directory.
> It supports them everywhere else AFAIK.

In that case, the message was just a warning, right?

* Re: unc paths with cmd.exe on ntemacs
@ 2002-11-27 23:24   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2002-11-27 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason Rumney" <jasonr@btinternet.co> wrote in message
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
>
> > >     CMD.EXE was started with '\\linux\linux\var\oldwww\html\basic'
> > >     as the current directory path.  UNC paths are not supported.
> > >     Defaulting to Windows directory.
> >
> > That's the first time I hear about a Windows system where CMD.EXE
doesn't
> > support UNCs.
>
> cmd.exe does not support UNC paths as the current working directory.
> It supports them everywhere else AFAIK.

so how can i make it work in emacs that it goes to the right directory?

* Re: unc paths with cmd.exe on ntemacs
@ 2002-11-28 21:41     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-11-28 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Leo" <leo.broska@NOSPAM.isys.com.au> writes:

> > cmd.exe does not support UNC paths as the current working directory.
> > It supports them everywhere else AFAIK.
>
> so how can i make it work in emacs that it goes to the right directory?

Emacs goes to the right directory. You can test that with C-x C-d and
giving a UNC path.  But CMD.EXE cannot use a UNC path as the current
working directory, that is a limitation of CMD.EXE, not of Emacs.

It might help if you explain exactly what is failing. Your previous
message only mentioned that you get a message, it did not say that
anything actually failed to work.

* Re: unc paths with cmd.exe on ntemacs
@ 2002-11-28 23:10       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2002-11-28 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Leo" <leo.broska@NOSPAM.isys.com.au> writes:
>
> > > cmd.exe does not support UNC paths as the current working directory.
> > > It supports them everywhere else AFAIK.
> >
> > so how can i make it work in emacs that it goes to the right directory?
>
> Emacs goes to the right directory. You can test that with C-x C-d and
> giving a UNC path.  But CMD.EXE cannot use a UNC path as the current
> working directory, that is a limitation of CMD.EXE, not of Emacs.
>
> It might help if you explain exactly what is failing. Your previous
> message only mentioned that you get a message, it did not say that
> anything actually failed to work.

here a quick description:

i) dired shows a UNC-path directorty i.e.
"//linux/linux/var/oldwww/html/basic"

ii) i matrk more than one files, i.e. the three files "a", "b" and "c"

iii) i run via "!" the command dired-do-shell-command with the parameter
"checkindb* &" where checkindb.exe is an external prog, emacs finds in the
path.

iv) then i get in the buffer "*Async Shell Command*"the error msg
    "CMD.EXE was started with \\linux\linux\var\oldwww\html\basic' as
    the current directory path.  UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting
    to Windows directory."
and my external prg doesn't work because obviously it can find the files
"a", "b" and "c" in the windows directory.

please notice that it works perfect with "checkindb ?", when i mark only one
file! confusing, isn't it?

cheers, leooo