all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using control keys in bash shell within emacs
@ 2002-10-10 13:11 Jeff Rancier
From: Jeff Rancier @ 2002-10-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using cygwin bash, 2.05b, as my NTEmacs shell (GNU Emacs 21.2.1
(i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2002-03-19 on buffy).  Is there any way to have
(e.g.) C-p, scroll through the history, instead of the default emacs
behaviour of moving to the previous line in a buffer.  I tried:

    set -o emacs

in my .bash_profile/.bashrc, but that didn't work.  Works fine when I kick
off cygwin bash outside of NTEmacs.  If this kind of thing doesn't work, can
someone explain the advantage of kicking off a bash shell inside of Emacs?

Jeff

* Re: Using control keys in bash shell within emacs
@ 2002-10-10 16:16 ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-10-10 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 10 Oct 2002, "Jeff Rancier" <jeff.rancier@softechnics.com> spake
thusly:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using cygwin bash, 2.05b, as my NTEmacs shell (GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2002-03-19 on buffy).  Is there any way to
> have (e.g.) C-p, scroll through the history, instead of the default
> emacs behaviour of moving to the previous line in a buffer.  I tried:

You could just use the normal Emacs history scrolling: M-p and M-n. I think
CTRL-up and CTRL-down work as well...

* Re: Using control keys in bash shell within emacs
@ 2002-10-11  4:46   ` Knut Forkalsrud
From: Knut Forkalsrud @ 2002-10-11  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:

> > Is there any way to
> > have (e.g.) C-p, scroll through the history, instead of the default
> > emacs behaviour of moving to the previous line in a buffer.  I tried:
>
> You could just use the normal Emacs history scrolling: M-p and M-n. I think
> CTRL-up and CTRL-down work as well...

Maybe you want term-mode (M-x term) where most of your keys work as
usual and the Emacs keybindings are changed to be prefixed with C-c.
Cortrol c in the terminal is C-c C-c in Emacs' term-mode.

-Knut

--
Hard work often pays off after time.  But laziness always pays off now.

* Re: Using control keys in bash shell within emacs
@ 2002-10-11 10:14     ` FRC
From: FRC @ 2002-10-11 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)