all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* re: melpa.org
@ 2020-02-25 18:36 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-25 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I checked with edbrowse on my system and found out edbrowse can read
melpa.org.
For those of us not running graphical user interfaces, edbrowse is an
editor-browser clone that runs in text mode and supports enough javascript
to pass the javascript ghoon at the door.  It has a learning curve and
configuration to do on the systems that already have it packaged for users
to download and use.

* Re: melpa.org
@ 2020-02-25 20:11 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-25 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell wrote:

> I checked with edbrowse on my system and
> found out edbrowse can read melpa.org.
> For those of us not running graphical user
> interfaces, edbrowse is an editor-browser
> clone that runs in text mode and supports
> enough javascript to pass the javascript
> ghoon at the door. It has a learning curve
> and configuration to do on the systems that
> already have it packaged for users to
> download and use.

But to use MELPA, why worry about JavaScript
and the web at all?

Why not just do

    (setq package-archives
          '(( "gnu elpa" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
            ( "melpa"    . "https://melpa.org/packages/" )))

and then use `list-packages' happily
ever after?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: melpa.org
@ 2020-02-26 18:07   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-26 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

The melpa archive fails to download.

(setq package-archives
          '(( "gnu elpa" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
            ( "melpa"    . "https://melpa.org/packages/" )))
(setq gnutls-algorithm-priority "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3")
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
;; Show keystrokes
(setq echo-keystrokes 0.02)
;; loose hourglass for text terminals without mouse
(setq display-hourglass nil)
;; optional keyboard short-cut
(global-set-key "\C-xm" 'browse-url-at-point)
(setq fill-column 72)
(setq use-dialog-box nil)
(setq delete-old-versions t)
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgtbl)
(setq org-table-use-standard-references t)
(setq-default display-line-numbers 'relative)
(setq gnus-interactive-catchup nil)
(setq imap-ssl-program "openssl s_client -tls1 -connect %s:%p")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail.com"
                                     (nnimap-address "dashielljude@gmail.com")
                                     (nnimap-stream ssl)))
(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
(setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
         'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)
(setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
   (setq gnus-thread-ignore-subject t)
On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Emanuel Berg via
Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 15:11:51
> From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
>     <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: melpa.org
>
> Jude DaShiell wrote:
>
> > I checked with edbrowse on my system and
> > found out edbrowse can read melpa.org.
> > For those of us not running graphical user
> > interfaces, edbrowse is an editor-browser
> > clone that runs in text mode and supports
> > enough javascript to pass the javascript
> > ghoon at the door. It has a learning curve
> > and configuration to do on the systems that
> > already have it packaged for users to
> > download and use.
>
> But to use MELPA, why worry about JavaScript
> and the web at all?
>
> Why not just do
>
>     (setq package-archives
>           '(( "gnu elpa" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>             ( "melpa"    . "https://melpa.org/packages/" )))
>
> and then use `list-packages' happily
> ever after?

* Re: melpa.org
@ 2020-02-26 18:52     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-26 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell wrote:

> The melpa archive fails to download.

Strange, here/with this it works fine:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/elpa.el

(Yeah, should rename that file...)

--

@ 2020-02-26 19:40       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

Strange, this one had a file open error and couldn't even download the gnu
elpa package archive. Does browser have to be set for any of this to work?

@ 2020-02-28 12:09   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-02-28 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 25 Feb 2020 at 21:11, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> But to use MELPA, why worry about JavaScript
> and the web at all?

When I posted recently about the irony of melpa's site not being usable
from within Emacs, the context was that some web browsing (e.g. Sacha
Chua's Emacs news posts) may have links to the melpa website. Yes, I can
manually bring up the package list and search for the particular
package, and I do do that, but it would sure be nice to simply follow
the link and see the package information.

1st world problem, eh? ;-)

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.6 on Debian 9.9