all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .emacs warning
@ 2017-07-11  4:26 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2017-07-11  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Symbols variable is void on following code.

cut here.
(setq calendar-location-name "Ottsville, PA")
(defalias 'gk-urls-external-browser 'browse-url-xdg-open)

(defun gk-browse-url (&rest args)
   "Prompt for whether or not to browse with EWW, if no browse
with external browser."
   (apply
    (if (y-or-n-p "Browse with EWW? ")
        'eww-browse-url
      'gk-urls-external-browser)
    args))

(setq browse-url-browser-function #'gk-browse-url)

    The code should be self-explanatory, but let me save you the read: it'll make a y-or-n prompt asking whether or not to
    use EWW to browse, if you hit n, it invokes your default browser.

cut here.
I'm using emacs 26 and once emacs starts up the code appears to work.
What is needed to clear the warning?

* Re: .emacs warning
@ 2017-07-12 17:52 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-07-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> Symbols variable is void on following code.

Doesn't look suspicious to me.  Can you maybe post a backtrace?

Michael.

* Re: .emacs warning
@ 2017-07-12 17:58   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2017-07-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

How do I generate a back trace and save it in a file?

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:52:36
> From: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: .emacs warning
>
> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:
>
>> Symbols variable is void on following code.
>
> Doesn't look suspicious to me.  Can you maybe post a backtrace?
>

> Michael.

* Re: .emacs warning
@ 2017-07-12 18:10     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-07-12 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> How do I generate a back trace and save it in a file?

First, it's better to load the (uncompiled) .el sources of related files
if you have them so that the backtrace doesn't contain only nearly
unreadable byte code.

You need to turn on debug-on-error, e.g. with M-x set-option.

Then reproduce the problem (error).  The debugger should pop up.  You
can use C-x C-w from within the debugger buffer to save the contents to
a file as usual.

Michael.