all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
@ 2016-07-29 14:34 Conor Matthew
From: Conor Matthew @ 2016-07-29 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2016-07-29 16:52 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-07-29 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> For 0N 0W
>
> Emacs gives
> sunrise 0704
> sunset 1909
>
> http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl?ID=AA&year=2016&task=0&place=&lon_sign=-1&lon_deg=&lon_min=&lat_sign=1&lat_deg=&lat_min=&tz=1&tz_sign=1
> gives
> sunrise 0703
> sunset 1910

I had a quick look at the Emacs code.  A difference of one minute isn't
surprising: AFAIK the Emacs calculation is exact - it respects all
astronomical effects I know of.  But it doesn't try hard to round to
whole minutes correctly, so the result may differ from the actual event
by an epsilon, where epsilon < 1 min I think.  Maybe epsilon < 30 sec
for aa.usno.navy.mil if they round "correctly", dunno, I don't know that
site.

Michael.

* Re: sunrise and sunset times
@ 2016-07-29 17:31 ` Pierpaolo Bernardi
From: Pierpaolo Bernardi @ 2016-07-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conor Matthew; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Conor Matthew
<conormatthew@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sunrise_002fSunset.html
>
> For 0N 0W

The apparent position of the sun depends in addition to the actual
position, also on some atmospheric parameters (air temperature and
pression) which usually are only guessed.

So, small differences due to slightly different guesses for these
parameters are to be expected.

* Re: sunrise and sunset times
@ 2016-07-29 22:56 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2016-07-29 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conor Matthew, help-gnu-emacs

There are several different kinds of sunrise and sunsets.  Civil and
nautical and astronomical are three that come to mind immediately.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Conor Matthew wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:34:08
> From: Conor Matthew <conormatthew@openmailbox.org>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: sunrise and sunset times
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sunrise_002fSunset.html
>
> For 0N 0W
>
> Emacs gives
> sunrise 0704
> sunset 1909
>
> http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl?ID=AA&year=2016&task=0&place=&lon_sign=-1&lon_deg=&lon_min=&lat_sign=1&lat_deg=&lat_min=&tz=1&tz_sign=1
> gives
> sunrise 0703
> sunset 1910
>
> and http://www.risacher.org/sunwait/
> sunwait list angle 0 0N 0W
> gives
> sunrise 0706
> sunset 1906
>
> for today 29th.
>
> Does http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php give the correct
> answer?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Conor

* Re: sunrise and sunset times
@ 2016-07-29 23:05   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2016-07-29 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs

Documentation states accuracy will be within a minute or two and for the
most part what's what's happened here too.