all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where and how should I announce a new port of emacs?
@ 2016-04-13 20:19 Pete Williamson
From: Pete Williamson @ 2016-04-13 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've got emacs working on a Chromebook at beta quality, and I'd like to
inform emacs users on the  mailing list.

What is the best way to go about this, and which list should I post to?
 info-gnu-emacs seems like the right list, but I don't have permissions to
post there.  emacs-devel does not seem like it will reach the right
audience.

More info on the port is available here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/118416397954909331171/posts/8dt2sM8YeeM

I want to make sure I do the right thing and do things correctly.  The
source code is available in the webports project, and I have started the
process of porting changes back to the emacs source code base.

* Re: Where and how should I announce a new port of emacs?
@ 2016-04-13 20:50 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-04-13 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pete Williamson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2016-04-13, at 20:19, Pete Williamson <petewil@google.com> wrote:

> I've got emacs working on a Chromebook at beta quality, and I'd like to
> inform emacs users on the  mailing list.
>
> What is the best way to go about this, and which list should I post to?
>  info-gnu-emacs seems like the right list, but I don't have permissions to
> post there.  emacs-devel does not seem like it will reach the right
> audience.
>
> More info on the port is available here:
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/118416397954909331171/posts/8dt2sM8YeeM
>
> I want to make sure I do the right thing and do things correctly.  The
> source code is available in the webports project, and I have started the
> process of porting changes back to the emacs source code base.

Just my 2 cents: making sure someone whose blog is aggregated on Planet
Emacsen writes about it seems also a good idea.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Where and how should I announce a new port of emacs?
@ 2016-04-14  6:23 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2016-04-14  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pete Williamson, help-gnu-emacs

chrome-axs would probably be interested, that's a googlegroups.com list.

@ 2016-04-16 21:02 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-04-16 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pete Williamson <petewil@google.com> writes:

> I've got emacs working on a Chromebook at beta
> quality, and I'd like to inform emacs users on the
> mailing list.
>
> What is the best way to go about this, and which
> list should I post to? info-gnu-emacs seems like the
> right list, but I don't have permissions to post
> there. emacs-devel does not seem like it will reach
> the right audience.

What is a chromebook? A piece of hardware?

Anyway good job :)

I searched news.gwene.org, and there is no suitable
hit for "chrome" what I can see. There are some Linux
drivers but I suppose that isn't it. Or is it?

    gmane.linux.drivers.unichrome.user  (and -.devel)
    gmane.linux.drivers.openchrome.user (ditto)

If it isn't, I suppose you could try

    gmane.emacs.announce

but that group has only 59 posts...

But that is also going about it the wrong way!
If there is an up-and-coming
Chromebook-whatever-that-is-DIY-community then what
you should do is, take a break from the porting
hacking and get a mailing list up and running.
Then submit it to Gmane. And last, you don't have to
even ask where to post the news :)

                   - so far: 25 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: Where and how should I announce a new port of emacs?
@ 2016-04-16 21:03   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-04-16 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> chrome-axs would probably be interested, that's
> a googlegroups.com list.

Not on Gmane what I can see...

@ 2016-04-16 21:06   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-04-16 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Just my 2 cents: making sure someone whose blog is
> aggregated on Planet Emacsen writes about it seems
> also a good idea.

Well, there is no such thing as negative publicity :)

No, but beware few people save the bloggers themselves
read other people's blogs.

At least that was the case ~10 years ago when I last
thought about it.

@ 2016-04-17 18:55     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2016-04-17 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

That's correct, lots of googlegroups.com groups are not on gmane.  You
have to subscribe to that one and address to do that is
chrome-axs+subscribe@googlegroups.com.

@ 2016-04-20  0:54       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-04-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> That's correct, lots of googlegroups.com groups are
> not on gmane. You have to subscribe to that one and
> address to do that is
> chrome-axs+subscribe@googlegroups.com.

Only, the whole thing with Gmane is not having to do
any of that.

But good answer to the OP which may not even be a Gnus
user...

                   - so far: 25 Blogomatic articles -