all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-21 22:34 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-04-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For now I'm using micrognuemacs also available on archlinux as a fallback.
The abbreviated typescript file will explain.  yaourt is a package locator
and manager which can do updates.

Script started on Tue 21 Apr 2015 06:22:04 PM EDT
Time: 06:22:04 PM
  Date: Tuesday April 21 2015
  Week: 16
  Day Of Year: 111
[jude@athame ~]$ yaourt -Ss emacs
^[[1;32mextra/^[[0m^[[1memacs^[[0m ^[[1;32m24.5-1^[[0m ^[[1;33;7m[installed]^[[0m
^[[0m    The extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time display editor
^[[0m^[[0m[jude@athame ~]$ emacs --version
emacs: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[jude@athame ~]$ yaourt -Ss lig\b^[[Kbgnutls28
^[[0m[jude@athame ~]$ yaourt -Ss libgnutls
^[[1;35maur/^[[0m^[[1mlibgnutls13^[[0m ^[[1;31m(null)^[[0m ^[[1;33;7m(79)^[[0m
^[[0m    Ancient libgnutls.so.13 library
^[[0m^[[1;35maur/^[[0m^[[1mlibgnutls26^[[0m ^[[1;32m(null)^[[0m ^[[1;33;7m(16)^[[0m
^[[0m    gnutls26 library (shared objects)
^[[0m^[[0m[jude@athame ~]$ exit
exit

Script done on Tue 21 Apr 2015 06:23:59 PM EDT

Where can I get gnutls28 and what will I need to do with the archive to
extract it and build it?
I have the necessary building utilities already installed.

-- Twitter: JudeDaShiell

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-22  6:20 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-04-22  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-22  6:42   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-04-22  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 06:34:56PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> For now I'm using micrognuemacs also available on archlinux as a fallback.
>> The abbreviated typescript file will explain.  yaourt is a package
>> locator and manager which can do updates.
>>
>> Script started on Tue 21 Apr 2015 06:22:04 PM EDT
>> The Moon is Waxing Crescent (13% of Full)
>> Time: 06:22:04 PM
>>  Date: Tuesday April 21 2015
>>  Week: 16
>>  Day Of Year: 111
>
> [...]
>
>> Where can I get gnutls28 and what will I need to do with the archive
>> to extract it and build it?
>> I have the necessary building utilities already installed.
>
> Not really an Emacs issue but more an Arch packaging issue. I'm not an Arch
> expert, but it seems, judging by [1] that your Arch installation is seriously
> outdated wrt the Emacs version you are trying to install. The "current" version
> of GnuTLS in Arch seems to be 3.0
>
> I'd recommend asking in an Arch user forum (unless someone knowledgeable
> chimes in here).

I'm not "knowledgeable" but I had the same problem yesterday -- and I'm
using Git emacs. I pulled and bootstrapped a couple of hours ago, and
the new build no longer gives me the error.

Eric

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-22  7:30   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-22  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:20:58 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Where can I get gnutls28 and what will I need to do with the archive
> > to extract it and build it?
> > I have the necessary building utilities already installed.
>
> Not really an Emacs issue but more an Arch packaging issue. I'm not an Arch
> expert, but it seems, judging by [1] that your Arch installation is seriously
> outdated wrt the Emacs version you are trying to install. The "current" version
> of GnuTLS in Arch seems to be 3.0

libgnutls.so.28 _is_ from GnuTLS 3.0.x series.  (Yes, it's confusing.)

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-22  7:48     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-04-22  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-22  9:35     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-04-22  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Not really an Emacs issue but more an Arch packaging issue. I'm not an Arch
>> expert, but it seems, judging by [1] that your Arch installation is seriously
>> outdated wrt the Emacs version you are trying to install. The
>> "current" version
>> of GnuTLS in Arch seems to be 3.0
>>
>> I'd recommend asking in an Arch user forum (unless someone knowledgeable
>> chimes in here).
>
> I'm not "knowledgeable" but I had the same problem yesterday -- and I'm
> using Git emacs. I pulled and bootstrapped a couple of hours ago, and
> the new build no longer gives me the error.

Damn, I'm still unable to build emacs-git...

    Finding pointers to doc strings...
    Finding pointers to doc strings...done
    Dumping under the name emacs
    Makefile:830: recipe for target 'bootstrap-emacs' failed
    make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/makepkg/emacs-git/src/emacs-git/src'
    Makefile:398: recipe for target 'src' failed
    make: *** [src] Error 2

—Rasmus

--
You people at the NSA are becoming my new best friends!

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-22 11:04   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-04-22 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tried installing gnutls on my archlinux box and was told gnutls-3.40 not
3.30 was already installed and gnuemacs on archlinux was complaining about
not being to find gnutls3.28.  Was an upper boundary set on gnutls version
number for that particular version of emacs?

--
Twitter: JudeDaShiell

@ 2015-04-22 11:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-22 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:04:41 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> I tried installing gnutls on my archlinux box and was told gnutls-3.40 not
> 3.30 was already installed and gnuemacs on archlinux was complaining about
> not being to find gnutls3.28.  Was an upper boundary set on gnutls version
> number for that particular version of emacs?

AFAIR, GnuTLS 3.4 changed the ABI, so you need to install an older
version, if the version of Emacs you installed needs that.

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-22 13:51       ` Tom Willemse
From: Tom Willemse @ 2015-04-22 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:04:41 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> I tried installing gnutls on my archlinux box and was told gnutls-3.40 not
>> 3.30 was already installed and gnuemacs on archlinux was complaining about
>> not being to find gnutls3.28.  Was an upper boundary set on gnutls version
>> number for that particular version of emacs?
>
> AFAIR, GnuTLS 3.4 changed the ABI, so you need to install an older
> version, if the version of Emacs you installed needs that.

It sounds like Emacs needs to be recompiled. I had this problem two days
ago with my Emacs installation from git after gnutls was updated from
3.3.14 to 3.4.0 in Archlinux (with the testing repository turned on). I
don't have libgnutls.so.28 on my system, only libgnutls.so.30 (and
30.0.0 and just .so).

Perhaps the maintainer hasn't yet noticed that it's stopped working, or
perhaps they haven't had time to update it yet. The ABS[1] can be used
to rebuild Emacs until the maintainer updates it. If the maintainer
isn't aware of this issue a bug report should probably be filed on the
Archlinux bug tracker.

I hope this helps!

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-23 11:40 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-04-23 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

I guess that this emacs

> [jude@athame ~]$ yaourt -Ss emacs
> extra/emacs 24.5-1 [installed]
>     The extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time display editor

is not the emacs that gets executed here:

> [jude@athame ~]$ emacs --version
> emacs: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.28: cannot open

At least I have

  - core/gnutls 3.4.0-1 [installed]
  - extra/emacs 24.5-1 [installed]

installed and emacs starts fine.

What does `which emacs' on a terminal say?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-23 13:47   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-04-23 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

which returns:
/usr/local/bin/emacs.

emacs-nox breaks in the same way.  The builder of emacs and emacs-nox on
archlinux needs to do another git pull and another arch package build then
this error will be corrected.
xemacs doesn't break in this way, it just doesn't like my .emacs file yet.
I'm going to run xemacs --init-debug and see what I can find and fix.

-- Twitter: JudeDaShiell

@ 2015-04-23 14:21     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-04-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> which returns:
> /usr/local/bin/emacs.

See?  When installing the Arch emacs package, it is installed as
/usr/bin/emacs.  So you are trying to run some different emacs, and that
is broken.

Try running /usr/bin/emacs.  I guess that works.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-23 17:53       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-04-23 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Correct, /usr/bin/emacs --version returns emacs version 24.5-1 with
copyright date of 2015.  I deleted /usr/local/bin/emacs, let's see if
which can now find the correct binary.

@ 2015-04-24  7:02         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-04-24  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Tassilo Horn

* Re: emacs update on archlinux
@ 2015-04-24 10:16           ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-04-24 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Tassilo Horn

I don't know how this happened, but also in /usr/local/bin I found an
emacs-24.50 directory tree and deleted it.  That was probably one of those
archlinux updates in which the packager was nice enough to not overwrite
/usr/bin/emacs but I didn't read any post-install notes on the changed
situation when it happened.

-- Twitter: JudeDaShiell