all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line [Mac OS X]
@ 2012-08-02 16:53 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-08-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs devel list; +Cc: css, hum

Just for the sake of completeness I want to flag this issue with
Emacs-app...

When 24.1 was released, I installed Emacs-app by means of MacPorts tools
on a MBP with Lion 10.7.4.

My init (reduced to a simple test case) file is:

$ cat .emacs.d/init.el

(global-set-key [13] 'newline-and-indent)

(defun latex-return( ) (interactive) (latex-indent-line)
(newline-and-indent))

(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook
 	  '(lambda()
 	     (local-set-key [13] 'latex-return)
 	     ;(auto-fill-mode 1)
 	     (turn-on-reftex)

 	     ;; Add index to menu bar
 	     (imenu-add-to-menubar "Contents")
 	     )
 	  )

and all worked fine with .tex file...

I have worked since this morning with a .tex file (inserting lines with
ENTER and then text, deleting lines etc.) without problems until a few
minutes ago: suddently pressing ENTER does not work any more (Emacs beeps)
and in the minibuffer I got the message:

   latex-return: Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line

and I can't edit .tex file any more...

This is strange because it worked and works with Aquamacs and Emacs on
other systems (GNU/Linux, Cygwin, Windows). They are many years I have
that "defun" in my init files...

I have not done any update since yesterday, so I would exclude an update
issue. Perhaps a caching issue? How on MBP?

TIA,
  Angelo.

* Re: Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line [Mac OS X]
@ 2012-08-03  7:42 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-08-03  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: css, hum, Emacs devel list

Angelo Graziosi <Angelo.Graziosi@roma1.infn.it> writes:

>   latex-return: Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line

There was never a function latex-indent-line in Emacs (tex-mode defines
latex-indent).  It must have been defined by some add-on package.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line [Mac OS X]
@ 2012-08-03 13:57   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-08-03 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Angelo Graziosi, Emacs devel list

You may try to reproduce with:

cp init.el-test ~/.emacs.d/init.el
emacs24[|| trunk] test_subfig.tex

go to the end of a line, "\section{Introduction}" for example.

Press ENTER to insert a blank line: it does not work for me, it prints

   Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line

in the minibuffer..

I have tested it with Emacs-app 24.1 on Mac OS X (via MacPorts); with rev.
109400 on Cygwin, and a week old trunk on GNU/Linux Fedora 16.

Ciao,
Angelo.

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Angelo Graziosi <Angelo.Graziosi@roma1.infn.it> writes:
>
>>   latex-return: Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line
>
> There was never a function latex-indent-line in Emacs (tex-mode defines
> latex-indent).  It must have been defined by some add-on package.
>
> Andreas.
>
> --
> Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
> GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
> "And now for something completely different."

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/x-tex, Size: 329 bytes --]

@ 2012-08-03 16:24     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2012-08-03 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, Emacs devel list

Hello.

3 aug 2012 kl. 15:57 skrev Angelo Graziosi:

> You may try to reproduce with:
>
> cp init.el-test ~/.emacs.d/init.el
> emacs24[|| trunk] test_subfig.tex
>
> go to the end of a line, "\section{Introduction}" for example.
>
> Press ENTER to insert a blank line: it does not work for me, it prints
>
>  Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line
>
> in the minibuffer..

In your init.el you have:

(defun latex-return( ) (interactive) (latex-indent-line) (newline-and-indent))

and as stated below, latex-indent-line does not exist, but latex-indent do.
So no wonder you get Symbol's function definition is void: latex-indent-line.
What did you expect?

	Jan D.