all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Arni Magnusson <arnima@hafro.is>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: 14732@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#14732: Package dos-mode for ELPA
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 02:20:41 +0000 (GMT)	[thread overview]

Hi Stefan,

Do you think that `dos-mode' could perhaps make it to Emacs core (i.e.
lisp/progmodes) instead of becoming an optional ELPA download?

The current `bat-generic-mode' provides surprisingly limited
syntax-highlighting, and earlier we discussed that instead of submitting a
patch for the generic mode, it would be better if I rewrite it as a
derived mode. While doing that, my design goal was to write a minimalistic
replacement of `bat-generic-mode' with the following improvements:

- highlighting of more commands: at attrib color date dir doskey endlocal
erase fc find mkdir more move popd pushd rmdir setlocal sort time title
type xcopy

- highlighting of more control flow keywords: cmd defined else equ exit
geq gtr in leq lss neq

- highlighting of called script: call foo

- highlighting of %%variable: for %%X in (bark meow) do echo %%X

- highlighting of defined variable: if defined VAR

I studied other code inside progmodes to use a similar style, both
internally and in the user interface, which has a menu with a few basic
but useful commands.

At 6333 bytes, I think it is a substantial improvement in Emacs support
for Dos scripts. I believe it would make many Emacs users happy to have
`auto-mode-alist' turn on `dos-mode' for the "bat" filename extension.
Actually, the net increase in code should be less than 6333 bytes, because
almost all remnants of `bat-generic-mode' could be deleted.

An analogous improvement was when `js-mode' replaced the old
`javascript-generic-mode'.

I would of course be fine with `dos-mode' being an ELPA package (my
initial proposal), but I just think Emacs should out-of-the-box have
slightly better support for editing Dos scripts. They are an unpopular but
necessary part of many free software projects, and developers would
appreciate to at least see the common Dos keywords colored.

Perhaps ELPA could be a stepping stone towards the venerable progmodes? A
kind of a review process and a general call for a SMIE patch? In that
case, we should probably change the header comment "This file is part of
GNU Emacs". Just to be explicit, I'm happy to have the Emacs developers
make any changes to the proposed
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/dos.el.

All the best,

Arni

P.S. I have received and signed the copyright assignment, and mailed it to
the Assignment Administrator (D. Robertson) on 25 July.