On Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson wrote: >>>>>> "TC" == Tino Calancha writes: > TC> Do you prefer to inform the user in this case that there is no file > TC> to change the mode? > > (All I know is I found it odd I couldn't change . or .. but OK you must > have your reasons. Maybe say "use a prefix argument to really change . "...) I'd rather prefer fix the case when: * there is no marked files ** We are in a line without file at point. Whether if an user should be able to `chmod' '.' or '..' seems a bit orthogonal to *, ** above; maybe better to discuss such issue in a separated bug report.