On Fri, 11 Aug 2017, Itai Berli wrote: > However, now I get the > following complaint from gdb: > > > No executable file specified. > > Use the "file" or "exec-file" command. That means, gdb doesn't know which program to debug. > Here's the complete contents of the *gud* buffer. > Current directory is ~/ > No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command. > Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y > Breakpoint 1 (main) pending. > (gdb) r > Starting program:   > No executable file specified. > Use the "file" or "exec-file" command. Assuming your executable is at: ~/emacs/src/bootstrap-emacs you can do in the gdb command line: file ~/emacs/src/bootstrap-emacs > On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Itai Berli wrote: > By the way, the *gud* buffer's first line is > > Current directory is ~/ > > However, the Emacs source code is in ~/emacs. Maybe this is the problem? But I started Emacs from ~/emacs. How can I set > the *gud* buffer's current directory? DUNNO why it doesn't starts at ~/emacs. You can try from a terminal: |> emacs ~/emacs/src ;; now call gdb M-x gdb RET ; it should offer to debug 'bootstrap-emacs'