all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus-group-read-group: accept ranges as first argument
@ 2016-10-08 10:17 Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2016-10-08 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi; +Cc: Emacs developers

I see `gnus-group-read-group' with first arg N/-N
will fech the newest/oldest abs(N) articles.

This is somehow similar than what `debbugs-gnu-bugs' does:
-N: show the newest abs(N) bugs.
N: show the bug #N.
N-M: show the bugs N, N+1, ..., M-1, M.

Would be possible to accept ranges in `gnus-group-read-group'
as well?

I ask this because i am trying to read one article from
2008, more or less in the middle, so that neither N nor -N
help to catch my target article: in both cases abs(N)
need to be a large integer.

Is there a better way to download a particular
article than just using `gnus-group-read-group'? I am
still a newbie in gnus.

Tino
Thank you.

* Re: gnus-group-read-group: accept ranges as first argument
@ 2016-10-08 10:44 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-10-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tino Calancha; +Cc: larsi, Emacs developers

On Okt 08 2016, Tino Calancha <tino.calancha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a better way to download a particular
> article than just using `gnus-group-read-group'? I am
> still a newbie in gnus.

Enter the group and use j (gnus-summary-goto-article).

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: gnus-group-read-group: accept ranges as first argument
@ 2016-10-08 11:02   ` Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2016-10-08 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: larsi, Emacs developers, Tino Calancha

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Okt 08 2016, Tino Calancha <tino.calancha@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a better way to download a particular
>> article than just using `gnus-group-read-group'? I am
>> still a newbie in gnus.
>
> Enter the group and use j (gnus-summary-goto-article).
Thank you! That's a big improve.  I can get search the article
from
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/
and obtain the date it was submitted.  I don't know how to get
the ID or message ID, so i am downloading articles submitted around
same day.
Without having the ID of the article, a gnus function filtering by
subject would be save lot of time.

* Re: gnus-group-read-group: accept ranges as first argument
@ 2016-10-08 11:23     ` Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2016-10-08 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tino Calancha; +Cc: larsi, Andreas Schwab, Emacs developers

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016, Tino Calancha wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Oct 2016, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>
>> On Okt 08 2016, Tino Calancha <tino.calancha@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a better way to download a particular
>>> article than just using `gnus-group-read-group'? I am
>>> still a newbie in gnus.
>>
>> Enter the group and use j (gnus-summary-goto-article).
> Thank you! That's a big improve.  I can get search the article
> from
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/
> and obtain the date it was submitted.  I don't know how to get
> the ID or message ID, so i am downloading articles submitted around
> same day.
> Without having the ID of the article, a gnus function filtering by
> subject would be save lot of time.
I realized that i can obtain the message id from the source.
For instance,
view-source:https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-10/msg00150.html

it shows the source of the first message in this thread.  The message ID
appears above in the header.
I still believe a function filtering by subject may be useful in some
cases.