all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Wrong fontification in C source
@ 2016-08-30 15:31 Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2016-08-30 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Emacs developers

Hi Alan,

I've just noticed that after commit:
578d9aaf82b386c1a0316dde491d297e18e10636
in Emacs C source code,
'DEFUN' gets face 'default' instead of 'font-lock-function-name-face'.

Regards,
Tino

* Re: Wrong fontification in C source
@ 2016-09-12 19:23 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2016-09-12 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tino Calancha; +Cc: Emacs developers

Hello, Tino.

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 12:31:00AM +0900, Tino Calancha wrote:

> Hi Alan,

> I've just noticed that after commit:
> 578d9aaf82b386c1a0316dde491d297e18e10636
> in Emacs C source code,
> 'DEFUN' gets face 'default' instead of 'font-lock-function-name-face'.

OK.  This is not necessarily a bug; "DEFUN" is not the name of the
function being defined, therefore it is not obvious why it should get
font-lock-function-name-face.  If anything should get that face, it is
the identifier beginning with "F...".

If, with SW older than 578d9a..., you type instead "DFUN", or any other
string, this also gets fontified with font-lock-function-name-face
(possibly at first needing M-o M-o).  So it is not "DEFUN" as such which
is being fontified, it is rather the identifier in that position.

So, the sensible thing to do is either (i) enhance the fontification
part of CC Mode to handle DEFUN (and DEFVAR, ....) properly; or (ii)
decide that the situation is "not a bug".  Given how much work it would
take to parse DEFUN and friends, and the fact that they're not used
outside of Emacs development, I'm inclined to go for alternative (ii).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Wrong fontification in C source
@ 2016-09-12 19:48   ` Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2016-09-12 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Emacs developers, Tino Calancha

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Hello, Tino.
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 12:31:00AM +0900, Tino Calancha wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>
>> I've just noticed that after commit:
>> 578d9aaf82b386c1a0316dde491d297e18e10636
>> in Emacs C source code,
>> 'DEFUN' gets face 'default' instead of 'font-lock-function-name-face'.
>
> OK.  This is not necessarily a bug; "DEFUN" is not the name of the
> function being defined, therefore it is not obvious why it should get
> font-lock-function-name-face.  If anything should get that face, it is
> the identifier beginning with "F...".
That's right.

> If, with SW older than 578d9a..., you type instead "DFUN", or any other
> string, this also gets fontified with font-lock-function-name-face
> (possibly at first needing M-o M-o).  So it is not "DEFUN" as such which
> is being fontified, it is rather the identifier in that position.
>
> So, the sensible thing to do is either (i) enhance the fontification
> part of CC Mode to handle DEFUN (and DEFVAR, ....) properly; or (ii)
> decide that the situation is "not a bug".  Given how much work it would
> take to parse DEFUN and friends, and the fact that they're not used
> outside of Emacs development, I'm inclined to go for alternative (ii).
I agree.  I just got used to see DEFUN with a nice blue color, but your
argument convinced me.

Regards,
Tino