On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Kaushal Modi wrote: > In this commit ( http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=08974112ae68aefba658a8516c8faa3374edc924 ), I am wondering > why we have two bindings "%c" and "%g" call the same command? > Why not have just one binding? That way, the user's get used to the same binding; we won't have a split where some prefer %c and > some prefer %g. Then there are no bad feelings when/if one of the bindings might need to be sacrificed in future for some reason. It was a compromise solution: I) My preference is '%g', which is the same as `dired-mark-files-containing-regexp'. That is consistent with the design of Ibuffer, as stated in the first line of ibuffer.el: ;;; ibuffer.el --- operate on buffers like dired There are several equivalent commands Dired-Ibuffer with the same key bindings, for instance: dired-mark-directories ibuffer-mark-dired-buffers both are bound to '*/' That very much helps to remember then. Unfortunatelly, this symmetry Dired-Ibuffer is not perfect: there are Ibuffer commands with the Dired 'partner' having a different binding. For instance: `dired-mark-files-regexp' bound to '%m' `ibuffer-mark-by-name-regexp' bound to '%n'. II) Ibuffer has the command: `ibuffer-filter-by-content' bound to '/c' So i think one Ibuffer user may find easier to remember the binding '%c' for `ibuffer-mark-by-content-regexp'. If people agree to keep just one binding then i would suggest '%g'. Regards, Tino