all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Customising menus... removing bars
@ 2014-06-07 19:32 James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2014-06-07 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance!

I am just reading about customising menus in emacs. I want to remove the
Buffers, Tools, Lisp-Interpreter, Help - to put it simply. I don't want all the
contents of File, Edit, Options really.

I was thinking of using EasyMenu due to it's name probably the best for me. But
I'm unsure about the main menu - I assume I leave (menu-bar-mode 0) in the
.emacs. I want to use both console and gui, but gui in the most basic form
using key shortcuts for most commands. Console for editing email and when I am
using cli but like the gui when I am looking through a load of files.

thanks
james

* RE: Customising menus... removing bars
@ 2014-06-07 20:56 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-06-07 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: James Freer, help-gnu-emacs

> I want to remove the Buffers, Tools, Lisp-Interpreter, Help - to put it simply.

In your init file:

(define-key global-map [menu-bar buffer] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar tools] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu] nil)

Lisp-Interpreter is mode-specific.  Find the major mode that uses it and
then remove it from that major-mode's keymap (instead of `global-map', as
above).

> I don't want all the contents of File, Edit, Options really.

Look in file `menu-bar.el', find which menu items you want to remove, and set
those command bindings to nil.

* Re: Customising menus... removing bars
@ 2014-06-07 21:23 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-06-07 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: James Freer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-06-07 21:32 James Freer wrote:
> I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance!
>
> I am just reading about customising menus in emacs. I want to remove
> the Buffers, Tools, Lisp-Interpreter, Help - to put it simply. I don't
> want all the contents of File, Edit, Options really.
>
> I was thinking of using EasyMenu due to it's name probably the best
> for me. But I'm unsure about the main menu - I assume I leave
> (menu-bar-mode 0) in the .emacs. I want to use both console and gui,
> but gui in the most basic form using key shortcuts for most
> commands. Console for editing email and when I am using cli but like
> the gui when I am looking through a load of files.

Just as a site note: You can always bind the toggling of the menu to a
key enabling you to only make it visible when you need it.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (global-set-key (kbd "C-<f10>") 'menu-bar-mode)
#+END_SRC

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Customising menus... removing bars
@ 2014-06-07 21:46   ` James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2014-06-07 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: James Freer, help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014, Alexander Baier wrote:
> On 2014-06-07 21:32 James Freer wrote:
>> I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance!
>>
>> I am just reading about customising menus in emacs. I want to remove
>> the Buffers, Tools, Lisp-Interpreter, Help - to put it simply. I don't
>> want all the contents of File, Edit, Options really.
>>
>> I was thinking of using EasyMenu due to it's name probably the best
>> for me. But I'm unsure about the main menu - I assume I leave
>> (menu-bar-mode 0) in the .emacs. I want to use both console and gui,
>> but gui in the most basic form using key shortcuts for most
>> commands. Console for editing email and when I am using cli but like
>> the gui when I am looking through a load of files.
>
> Just as a site note: You can always bind the toggling of the menu to a
> key enabling you to only make it visible when you need it.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>  (global-set-key (kbd "C-<f10>") 'menu-bar-mode)
> #+END_SRC
>
> HTH,
> --
> Alexander Baier

Alexander and Drew

Many thanks for you replies I will read further and investigate. I like emacs,
but it's 'big' and takes some learning.

james