all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Misleading --help text
@ 2007-06-27  9:58 Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2007-06-27  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-emacs

I'm not sure whether this applies to current CVS (sorry, I only use emacs
from my GNU/Linux distribution), but emacs 21.4 --help says:

Action options:

FILE			visit FILE using find-file
+LINE FILE		visit FILE using find-file, then go to line LINE
+LINE:COLUMN FILE	visit FILE using find-file, then go to line LINE,
 			    column COLUMN

Reading this, I would expect that

emacs +5 +5 foo

would visit a file called "+5", then go to line 5, and also visit a file
called "foo" but it doesn't, it visits "foo", then goes to line 5. That's
fine by me, but it does mean the documentation is misleading.

I suggest the following stanza instead:

Action options:

FILE			visit FILE using find-file
+LINE			go to line LINE in the next file visited
+LINE:COLUMN 		go to line LINE, column COLUMN in the next file
 			    visited

Then it's fairly obvious that if you give two successive +LINE[:COLUMN]
options, the second will override the first.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | The yak is slow but the earth is patient (LucasArts)