all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Need help debuging my `.emacs` file
@ 2013-11-12  2:58 eccstartup
From: eccstartup @ 2013-11-12  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This is my ".emacs" file

https://gist.github.com/eccstartup/7424617

My emacs version 24.3. I have installed "haskell-mode" and "erlang" from http://marmalade-repo.org/  . All I have done is do according to the website.

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
    '("marmalade" .
      "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/"))
(package-initialize)

1.  However, when I start it, I get

An error has occurred while loading `/Users/eccstartup/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, package

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

2.  Well, I typed "emacs --debug-init" in the terminal, I get

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "package")
  require(package)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/Users/eccstartup/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 19
  load-with-code-conversion("/Users/eccstartup/.emacs" "/Users/eccstartup/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil "^H\205\276^@   \306=\203^Q^@\307^H\310Q\202A^@ \311=\2033^@\312\307\313\314#\203#^@\315\202A^@\312\307\313\316#\203/^@\317\202A^@\315\202A^@   \320=\203=^@\321\202A^@\307^H\322Q^Z\323^S\324\n\32$
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

3.  So, What is the problem?

Should I download a package.el from http://marmalade-repo.org/ ?

Thanks, I tried to make it readable.

* Re: Need help debuging my `.emacs` file
@ 2013-11-12  3:04 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <CAKcmqqyS0JTy70p7bF3eCxfXuUPLF4CWFfoJyF_3PqZT6EUCEA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-12  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

eccstartup <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> writes:

This line:

> (require 'package)

is the problem. I also get:

> File error: Cannot open load file, package

Because I don't have it, and neither do you.

> Should I download a package.el from
> http://marmalade-repo.org/ ?

Yes, if there is such a package, and you need it, you
need to get it. That name doesn't say a lot what it is
though, and I have never heard of it, either.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

@ 2013-11-12  3:29     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-12  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

yi lu <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> writes:

> The website says, if I don't use emacs 24, I should
> put a package.el there. However, I am using 24!

Perhaps something went wrong during your installation,
*or* you have a system-specific Emacs that is subtlety
different, *or* they are simply wrong in their claim
the file should be there. Like I said, I have no idea
what this is all about.

I use GNU Emacs 23 so I suppose at least it is logical
that *I* don't have package.el :)

> Thanks. I add that file, and no problem occurs.

No problem.

--

@ 2013-11-12  7:37   ` Glyn Millington
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5871.1384243303.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-11-12  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> eccstartup <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> writes:
>
> This line:
>
>> (require 'package)
>
> is the problem. I also get:

No it isn't :-) With emacs 24, that should work.

>> File error: Cannot open load file, package
>
> Because I don't have it, and neither do you.

You don't have it, but perhaps *his* Emacs just can't  find it! What OS are
you using, OP?

>> Should I download a package.el from http://marmalade-repo.org/ ?
>
> Yes

No - not until you are sure it isn't already there somewhere on the
system.  Any 'package.el' on marmalade is not necessarily the package.el
which  comes bundled with emacs 24.

atb

Glyn

@ 2013-11-12 21:14     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-12 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>
>> eccstartup <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> writes:
>> This line:
>>
>>> (require 'package)
>> is the problem. I also get:
>
> No it isn't :-) With emacs 24, that should work.

The operative word: "should" :)

>>> File error: Cannot open load file, package
>> Because I don't have it, and neither do you.
>
> You don't have it, but perhaps *his* Emacs just can't
> find it!

So perhaps the OP's `load-path' isn't set correctly?

> What OS are you using, OP?
>
>>> Should I download a package.el from
>>> http://marmalade-repo.org/ ?
>>
>> Yes
>
> No - not until you are sure it isn't already there
> somewhere on the system.  Any 'package.el' on
> marmalade is not necessarily the package.el which
> comes bundled with emacs 24.

Well, if you download it and it works as expected I
don't see any reason to be paranoid about it. That's
what I would do, without hesitation. But for the purist
I suppose the right way is to understand why it doesn't
work as it is described in the documentation.

--

@ 2013-11-13  5:47     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-11-13  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glyn Millington; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Glyn Millington wrote:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>
> > eccstartup <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > This line:
> >
> >> (require 'package)
> >
> > is the problem. I also get:
>
> No it isn't :-) With emacs 24, that should work.
>

> >> File error: Cannot open load file, package
> >
> > Because I don't have it, and neither do you.
>
> You don't have it, but perhaps *his* Emacs just can't  find it! What OS are
> you using, OP?
>
> >> Should I download a package.el from http://marmalade-repo.org/ ?
> >
> > Yes
>
> No - not until you are sure it isn't already there somewhere on the
> system.  Any 'package.el' on marmalade is not necessarily the package.el
> which  comes bundled with emacs 24.
>
> atb
>

> Glyn

For emacs 23.x and earlier users there is a different procedure for
getting package.el to install involving evaluation of code on your local
system you either have to download from the elpa home page and put in your
scratch buffer then run.  For emacs 24.x users no such steps are
necessary, just type:
m-x package list-packages <enter> in scratch buffer and watch what
happens.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Avoid the Gates Of Hell, use Linux!