all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus authentication bug
@ 2013-07-12 20:05 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-07-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This can be reproduced using news.metrocast.net since it is one of the
news servers that require authentication.  When I start up gnus, without
providing authentication, gnus goes into deep space and gets lost.  It
downloads an active file over a million bytes in size and just keeps on
downloading.  If I run rtin against the same server news.metrocast.net,
the subcontracted server with the news on it comes up news.giga.com and
expects authentication without downloading any active file.  For whatever
reason, gnus is failing to catch and display the authentication expected
message and this is the version 5.3..1 built into emacs 23.x.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
Berners-lee would do.

* Re: gnus authentication bug
@ 2013-07-13  0:14 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-07-13  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> This can be reproduced using news.metrocast.net since it is one of the
> news servers that require authentication.  When I start up gnus, without
> providing authentication, gnus goes into deep space and gets lost.  It
> downloads an active file over a million bytes in size and just keeps on
> downloading.  If I run rtin against the same server news.metrocast.net,
> the subcontracted server with the news on it comes up news.giga.com and
> expects authentication without downloading any active file.  For whatever
> reason, gnus is failing to catch and display the authentication expected
> message and this is the version 5.3..1 built into emacs 23.x.

> jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
> About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
> Berners-lee would do.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
Berners-lee would do.

That's version 5.13 of gnus that hangs and fails to show authentication
expected messages and prompt for credentials.  I transposed a couple
numbers.

* Re: gnus authentication bug
       [not found] <mailman.966.1373659558.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-13 16:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-07-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> For whatever reason, gnus is failing to catch and display the
> authentication expected message and this is the version 5.3..1 built
> into emacs 23.x.

What's in the " *server news.metrocast...*" server when this happens?
(Note leading space.)

* Re: gnus authentication bug
@ 2013-07-14  1:03   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-07-14  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>
> > For whatever reason, gnus is failing to catch and display the
> > authentication expected message and this is the version 5.3..1 built
> > into emacs 23.x.
>
> What's in the " *server news.metrocast...*" server when this happens?
> (Note leading space.)

How do I find that out?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-07-19 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

>> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>>
>> > For whatever reason, gnus is failing to catch and display the
>> > authentication expected message and this is the version 5.3..1 built
>> > into emacs 23.x.
>>
>> What's in the " *server news.metrocast...*" server when this happens?
>> (Note leading space.)
>>

> How do I find that out?

Switch to that buffer.  `C-x b C-q SPC *server...'.