all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* I feel strange after several days of using emacs
@ 2006-12-10 21:57 Ronald
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-10 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I edit in a editor other than emacs, I will typed the hotkeys in
emacs automatically. For example, when I'm write this email in
thunderbird, I typed C-b C-j etc. Then I will think to choose to write
email in emacs, and at last do everything that need editing in emacs, or
typing mistake occurs time by time. But emacs can't do everything
properly. So I'm thinking whether I should quit. But vim has the same
problem, and others are not so convenient for programming... It's hard
to choose. Who can give me any suggestion?

* Re: I feel strange after several days of using emacs
@ 2006-12-10 22:26 ` David Kastrup
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-12-10 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald <followait@163.com> writes:

> When I edit in a editor other than emacs, I will typed the hotkeys in
> emacs automatically. For example, when I'm write this email in
> thunderbird, I typed C-b C-j etc. Then I will think to choose to write
> email in emacs, and at last do everything that need editing in emacs,
> or typing mistake occurs time by time. But emacs can't do everything
> properly. So I'm thinking whether I should quit. But vim has the same
> problem, and others are not so convenient for programming... It's hard
> to choose. Who can give me any suggestion?

M-! gconf-editor RET

Navigate to

desktop/Gnome/Interface

double-click on
gtk_key_theme

and set it to the value
Emacs

and press
OK

Voila: most GTK applications will have Emacs keybindings.

No such thing for vi lovers, I am afraid.

* Sorry, poor spelling.
@ 2006-12-10 22:39 ` Ronald
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-12-10 22:49   ` Ronald
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-10 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:
> Ronald <followait@163.com> writes:
>
>> When I edit in a editor other than emacs, I will typed the hotkeys in
>> emacs automatically. For example, when I'm write this email in
>> thunderbird, I typed C-b C-j etc. Then I will think to choose to write
>> email in emacs, and at last do everything that need editing in emacs,
>> or typing mistake occurs time by time. But emacs can't do everything
>> properly. So I'm thinking whether I should quit. But vim has the same
>> problem, and others are not so convenient for programming... It's hard
>> to choose. Who can give me any suggestion?
>
> M-! gconf-editor RET
>
> Navigate to
>
> desktop/Gnome/Interface
>
> double-click on
> gtk_key_theme
>
> and set it to the value
> Emacs
>
> and press
> OK
>
> Voila: most GTK applications will have Emacs keybindings.
>
> No such thing for vi lovers, I am afraid.

Well, hotkeys will conflict, for example Alt-  will popup the menu.

* Re: I feel strange after several days of using emacs
@ 2006-12-10 23:05 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-10 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ronald wrote:
> When I edit in a editor other than emacs, I will typed the hotkeys in
> emacs automatically. For example, when I'm write this email in
> thunderbird, I typed C-b C-j etc. Then I will think to choose to write
> email in emacs, and at last do everything that need editing in emacs,
> or typing mistake occurs time by time. But emacs can't do everything
> properly. So I'm thinking whether I should quit. But vim has the same
> problem, and others are not so convenient for programming... It's hard
> to choose. Who can give me any suggestion?

This is one of the reasons I use cua-mode in Emacs. But it helps just a
bit of course ;-)

* Re: I feel strange after several days of using emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-11  9:43 ` John Halton
From: John Halton @ 2006-12-11  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ronald

On 12/10/06, Ronald <followait@163.com> wrote:
> When I edit in a editor other than emacs, I will typed the hotkeys in
> emacs automatically. For example, when I'm write this email in
> thunderbird, I typed C-b C-j etc. Then I will think to choose to write
> email in emacs, and at last do everything that need editing in emacs, or
> typing mistake occurs time by time. But emacs can't do everything
> properly. So I'm thinking whether I should quit. But vim has the same
> problem, and others are not so convenient for programming... It's hard
> to choose. Who can give me any suggestion?

Perhaps it's just a case of persevering. At first, I found the Emacs
keybindings very strange and hard to get to grips with, but over time
I've got used to switching between "desktop"-style keybindings (Ctrl-X
to "cut", etc.) and Emacs keybindings. While your brain is still
adjusting, moving between the two is hard. Once both are second
nature, the switch will be easier.

It's like a child growing up in a bilingual household - at first they
get the languages muddled up, and say things that combine both
languages. Before long, however, they are fluent in both languages,
while confusing neither.

John

* Re: I feel strange after several days of using emacs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-11 19:50 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-11 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald wrote:
> When I edit in a editor other than emacs, I will typed the hotkeys in
> emacs automatically. For example, when I'm write this email in
> thunderbird, I typed C-b C-j etc. Then I will think to choose to write
> email in emacs, and at last do everything that need editing in emacs, or
> typing mistake occurs time by time.

I do that from time to time.

If the keys annoy you then you can either change other program to use
Emacs keys, or change Emacs to use CUA keys.  Others have mentioned
how.  This is only a partial solution, since Emacs maps more keys than
other programs do.  Eventually you have to get used to it or make do
with forgetting about the other useful keys.

> But emacs can't do everything
> properly. So I'm thinking whether I should quit. But vim has the same
> problem, and others are not so convenient for programming... It's hard
> to choose. Who can give me any suggestion?

Firstly, pick which bits of Emacs you use.  Some of them may not meet
your needs, but using Emacs does not mean you have to use all of it.

Ultimately it is a trade-off.  Learn the keys used inside Emacs and you
become more proficient inside Emacs.  Sometimes you try to use them
outside Emacs and they don't work, this is the downside.  For me it
happens infrequently enough not to be an issue.

The same is true, not only of Vim, but of any reasonably sophisticated
Editor.  Eclipse is the same for example.