I’ll file a separate bug. You can close this one. Thanks. On 4 Jun 2023 at 1:21 PM +0100, Michael Albinus , wrote: > Jimmy Wong writes: > > Hi, > > > Well, yes, I consider this a poorly considered “feature”, or arguably > > a bug, for exactly the reason you said, they are local to connections > > and machines, and thus highly variable. > > Not really. They exist for the reason that a user can override the > default values offered by Tramp. This I would call a user option. > > Tramp has a lot of further host specific data, which are all kept in > variables. > > > We can probably argue whether this is a bug in tramp or a bug in > > customize-save-variable tho (why on earth does the act of saving a > > single variable value saves all customized values if a custom file > > exists?) > > I agree with the latter. > > Best regards, Michael.