all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
@ 2014-05-23 21:47 Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2014-05-23 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).

Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?

Secondly, can I insert into a text document?  Or does it have to be a
unicode document?

Thirdly, will the symbols be visible in the document when viewing on -
screen??

* Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
@ 2014-05-23 22:21 ` Patricia J. Hawkins
       [not found] ` <mailman.1957.1400883686.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Patricia J. Hawkins @ 2014-05-23 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help

AC> I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
AC> all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).

AC> Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?

Quick & dirty way, if it's just a few characters, is just to find them
on the web, copy and paste, save to file, keep the file open in a
window, and then copy and paste when you need them.  From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols:

∀∃

AC> Secondly, can I insert into a text document?  Or does it have to be a
AC> unicode document?

Your text file is already using unicode.  Nothing defaults to ASCII
anymore.

AC> Thirdly, will the symbols be visible in the document when viewing on -
AC> screen??

If it survives the initial cut and paste from the web to your Emacs
file, it should be fine.  (Notice that the symbols in the TEX column
here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols don't
survive!)

Now, there are ways to assign things to keys, or keystroke combinations;
and further, there are also systems like SWEAVE and Auctex to let you write
complicated equations, but this should get you started.

--
Patricia J. Hawkins

* Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
       [not found]   ` <7z7g5cdqnp.fsf@example.com>
@ 2014-05-24  1:37     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-05-24  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>
>> Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
>>> all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).
>>>
>>> Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?
>>>
>>> Secondly, can I insert into a text document?  Or does it have to be a
>>> unicode document?
>>>
>>> Thirdly, will the symbols be visible in the document when viewing on -
>>> screen??
>>
>> This took some doing, but I found that you can type ctrl-x 8 return and
>> then enter the hex code 2200
>>
>> ∀
>> ∪
>> √
>
> I forgot to include the link:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Inserting-Text.html
>
> and the ∃ is 2203.
>
> You will need to set the buffer coding before you save it I
> think.

You can also use the unicode names, that's a little easier. For
instance, type C-x 8 <RET>, then type "FOR ALL" (you get completion),
and there's your ∀.

* Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
@ 2014-05-24  2:35       ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2014-05-24  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Abrahamsen (2014-05-24 05:37 +0400) wrote:

> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>
>> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

>>> This took some doing, but I found that you can type ctrl-x 8 return and
>>> then enter the hex code 2200
>>>
>>> ∀
>>> ∪
>>> √
>>
>> I forgot to include the link:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Inserting-Text.html
>>
>> and the ∃ is 2203.
>>
>> You will need to set the buffer coding before you save it I
>> think.
>
> You can also use the unicode names, that's a little easier. For
> instance, type C-x 8 <RET>, then type "FOR ALL" (you get completion),
> and there's your ∀.

Also if you use those symbols a lot you may bind them to keys, for
example like this:

(global-set-key (kbd "M-A") "∀")
(global-set-key (kbd "M-E") "∃")

or even like this:

(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-A") [?∀])
(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-E") [?∃])

With the second variant the symbols may be inserted anywhere (including
isearch).

* Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
@ 2014-05-24  3:30 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.1957.1400883686.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-24  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
> all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).
> Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?

I do it as follows:
- Enable the TeX input method with: C-u C-\ TeX RET
- then type \forall, \exists, \to, \Pi, \lambda, you name it.

@ 2014-05-24  7:26   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-05-24  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 3:51:05 AM UTC+5:30, Patricia J. Hawkins wrote:

> AC> I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
> AC> all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).

> AC> Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?

> Quick & dirty way, if it's just a few characters, is just to find them
> on the web, copy and paste, save to file, keep the file open in a
> window, and then copy and paste when you need them.  From
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols:

> ∀∃

I find Xah Lee's pages quite useful
http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_math_operators.html

And other curiosities like:

http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_matching_brackets.html

> AC> Secondly, can I insert into a text document?  Or does it have to be a
> AC> unicode document?

> Your text file is already using unicode.  Nothing defaults to ASCII
> anymore.

I recently got a file from a colleague who thought she was typing unicode
but the encoding was not UTF-8 so the file was mojibaked.

So, yes things dont (cant?) default to ASCII any more but that does not
mean unicode (UTF-8) just works.

In emacs if you see a 'U' in the modeline left corner, its unicode.
Else you have some debugging to do.

* Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
       [not found] <mailman.1954.1400881655.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <7zbnuodqy0.fsf@example.com>
@ 2014-05-24  7:30 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-05-24  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
> all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).
>
> Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?

Just type ∀ and ∃.

Obviously, for this to work you need to have mapped them to some key on
your keyboard layout.

I have them on greek-braceleft and greek-braceright in ~/.xmodmap

keycode  34 = bracketleft     braceleft     guillemotleft   0x1002200
keycode  35 = bracketright    braceright    guillemotright  0x1002203

The trick here is that X11 doesn't define symbols for those characters
so we need to enter the unicode cdes.

If you don't do that, you can enter them with C-x 8 RET THERE EXISTS RET
and C-x 8 RET FOR ALL RET

> Secondly, can I insert into a text document?  Or does it have to be a
> unicode document?

Yes.

> Thirdly, will the symbols be visible in the document when viewing on -
> screen??

As long as you use unicode in the whole processing chain.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
@ 2014-05-24  8:37     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-05-24  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-05-24 09:26, Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>> AC> I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
>> AC> all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).
>
>> AC> Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?
>
>> Quick & dirty way, if it's just a few characters, is just to find them
>> on the web, copy and paste, save to file, keep the file open in a
>> window, and then copy and paste when you need them.  From
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols:
>
>> ∀∃
>
> I find Xah Lee's pages quite useful
> http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_math_operators.html
>
> And other curiosities like:
>
> http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_matching_brackets.html

He also has a nice package to easily input unicode characters:
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/xmsi-math-symbols-input.html

Alan