all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* about colors
@ 2005-12-14  4:00 chinlu chinawa
From: chinlu chinawa @ 2005-12-14  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I got Emacs-21.4 working a few days ago, and I got it
already more or less configured, but I got a question
about colors.

Well, actually, I haven't compiled xemacs as is not of
my interest, so I'm talking about emacs for xterm/tty
(xterm mainly).

I'm using a 256-color xterm, and have set
font-lock-maximum-decoration to true.

But I think was even before of any of this, when I
could already use c-syntax higlighting being able to
see more than 16 colors?, anyway I can do it now.

I see variants of blue, green, etc, but just within
the syntax, not when I try to configure faces, though.

I prefer to have dark colors like black and maybe
green for the foreground, but when it comes to the
bottom menu bar, which is the only I've left alive,
the reverse-video just kills me, and I can see a bit
darker green within the c-syntax higlighting, which
I'd wouldn't mind to have as revere video.

So wheter I cannot have a full 256 colors within
xterm, is there chance I could set up some of this
colors to be used with the menubar?

Kind Regards,

* about colors
@ 2011-06-18 20:29 sergio
From: sergio @ 2011-06-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

I'm newbie in emacs and my first problem is colors. I don't like default
colors. Moreover I think, that background-mode light is better for dark
background, than background-mode dark. I've seen color-theme mode, but no one
theme from it I liked and it is standalone mode. I want to make my own theme.
As I understand I just need to define font-lock-*-face and some more colors.
(As in http://alexpogosyan.com/color-theme-creator/). But how to find all color
that I should define? What is the right way for creating theme for emacs?

--
sergio.

* Re: about colors
@ 2011-06-19 16:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-06-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:29:03 +0400
> From: sergio <mailbox@sergio.spb.ru>
>
> As I understand I just need to define font-lock-*-face and some more colors.

No, you will find that you need to define much more faces.

> But how to find all color that I should define?

"M-x list-faces-display RET" will show you all the faces that are
known to Emacs at that point.  But please note that some faces are not
known until you load a package that defines them.

* Re: about colors
@ 2011-06-19 17:04 ` Richard Riley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-06-19 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sergio <mailbox@sergio.spb.ru> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm newbie in emacs and my first problem is colors. I don't like default
> colors. Moreover I think, that background-mode light is better for dark
> background, than background-mode dark. I've seen color-theme mode, but no one
> theme from it I liked and it is standalone mode. I want to make my own theme.
> As I understand I just need to define font-lock-*-face and some more colors.
> (As in http://alexpogosyan.com/color-theme-creator/). But how to find all color
> that I should define? What is the right way for creating theme for emacs?

just an fyi, I would give a word of caution here : faces are or can be
very hairy places to be especially for someone new to emacs;) There are
quite a few themes available with the color-theme package -
subtle-hacker ( I think it is) was nice for me, but recently I dumped
that color-theme sw completely and now use the excellent naquadah-theme
which can show you what to do if you want to make your own:-

http://git.naquadah.org/?p=naquadah-theme.git;a=summary

At the very least this will give you some idea of the scale of the task!

Best of luck

regards

r.

* Re: about colors
@ 2011-06-21  0:06 ` William Stevenson
       [not found] ` <mailman.182.1308615013.785.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: William Stevenson @ 2011-06-21  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

x-post as this didn't show up on gmane.

sergio <mailbox@sergio.spb.ru> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm newbie in emacs and my first problem is colors. I don't like default
> colors. Moreover I think, that background-mode light is better for dark
> background, than background-mode dark. I've seen color-theme mode, but no one
> theme from it I liked and it is standalone mode. I want to make my own theme.

rainbow-mode is super handy when making color themes:
http://julien.danjou.info/rainbow-mode.html

When you're testing your color theme some properties, such as
background-color, will not change, try the theme in a new session.

Read and copy some other themes, I copied mine from a theme I liked
called chocolate rain.
https://github.com/marktran/color-theme-chocolate-rain

I put mine up today, color-theme-cool-dark
https://github.com/yhvh/color-theme-cool-dark

and a still very new, light theme for gnome-3
https://github.com/yhvh/color-theme-gnome-3-adwaita

> ... But how to find all color
> that I should define? What is the right way for creating theme for emacs?

To find out what a particuar face is called just put your cursor over
the face and do M-x describe-face

* Re: about colors
@ 2011-06-21  5:06   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-06-21  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

William Stevenson <yhvh2000@gmail.com> writes:

>> ... But how to find all color
>> that I should define? What is the right way for creating theme for emacs?

To create themes and colors:
http://alexpogosyan.com/color-theme-creator/

> To find out what a particuar face is called just put your cursor over
> the face and do M-x describe-face

See also the anything interface for choosing colors at
git://repo.or.cz/anything-config.git

M-x anything-colors

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* RE: about colors
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-21 14:22 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.182.1308615013.785.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-06-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'sergio', help-gnu-emacs

> how to find all color that I should define?

You don't really define colors.  You choose them (a) as attributes for faces
(foreground, background, over/underlines, boxing,...) and (b) as frame
backgrounds/foregrounds.

Learn about faces: (1) Emacs manual, node `Faces', (2)
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Face

Command `list-faces-display' shows the existing faces.  You can use command
`customize-face' to modify any of them.

If you use Icicles then `customize-face' and other face-choosing commands show
you the candidate face names in their own faces (wysiwyg).  You can filter the
names using patterns.

Command `list-colors-display' shows the named colors you can use (e.g. for
changing face attributes).

Be aware that in addition to named colors in Emacs you can also use any RGB hex
code (as in HTML) instead of a color name - e.g. #C847D8FEFFFF (an unnamed light
blue).  The available colors go way beyond those that are named.

If you use Icicles then command `icicle-read-color' shows you colored color-name
candidates (wysiwyg) - like `list-colors-display' with filtering and completion.
You can sort the candidates in various ways, including by color component
strength (hue, saturation, brightness, R, G, B) and color distance (HSV, RGB).
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Screenshots#icicle-read-color

See also Facemenu+.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FaceMenuPlus

See also ColorPalette and Do Re Mi for choosing/defining colors.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorPalette
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DoReMi

Do Re Mi has commands for incrementally modifying color components.

It has commands for doing this to the foreground/background of particular faces
or frames and commands for doing this to all faces or all frames together.
Incrementally modify color components individually (red, green, blue, hue,
saturation/purity, value/brightness).

Use the all-faces/frames modifying commands to, e.g., lighten, brighten, subdue,
contrast, make more blue, etc. all faces or frames at once.  Then make
individual face adjustments to finish off.

Icicles also has commands for incrementally modifying frame
foreground/background colors.

> What is the right way for creating theme for emacs?

Others have spoken about this.  Use any of the various tools mentioned above and
by others to change your Emacs appearance the way you want (tweak faces, frame
colors), then save that appearance as a new color theme.

You can start from an existing theme and modify that appearance (certain faces,
all faces together, etc.).

You can use Icicles command `icicle-color-theme' to browse among existing
themes, picking specific theme names using completion and pattern filtering or
cycling among some or all.  Return to the theme or setup you started with or
keep one that you liked.

You can also use command `doremi-color-themes+' to cycle among color themes.
C-g restores the theme/setup you started with.

For more info about color themes:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorTheme

* Re: about colors
       [not found] ` <mailman.182.1308615013.785.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-22 12:44   ` arnaudlaroulette
From: arnaudlaroulette @ 2013-04-22 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

do anyone know how to get the RGB code for a light a 2700k??

* Re: about colors
@ 2013-04-22 20:20     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-04-22 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnaudlaroulette; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.04.2013 um 14:44 schrieb arnaudlaroulette@gmail.com:

> do anyone know how to get the RGB code for a light a 2700k??

If that's the surface temperature of a black body, then it would have, according to Wien's law, an emission peak at around 1,073 nm. This is infrared.

A star can be taken as a black body. Stars with such a low surface temperature are in the spectral class M. Examples are Antares (3,400 K) or Proxima Centauri (3,040 K). Both are quite reddish or orange.

Wikipedia offers this scale: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Blackbody_sRGB_energy-units.png. 2,700 K is represented by a colour of

	#FFBA69 = 255 186 105

(according to my screenshots programme)

A bit of googling reveals:

http://www.tannerhelland.com/4435/convert-temperature-rgb-algorithm-code/
http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/blackbody/UnstableURLs/bbr_color.html
http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/starcolor/
http://www.easyrgb.com/index.php?X=CALC

--
Greetings

  Pete

One of the main causes of dust is janitors.

* Re: about colors
@ 2013-04-22 21:44     ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2013-04-22 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

arnaudlaroulette@gmail.com writes:

> do anyone know how to get the RGB code for a light a 2700k??

I can get you part way.  I happen to have a CIE chromaticity diagram
with the blackbody incandescence curve plotted on it.  (It's from the
Encyclopaedia Britannica, but I dare say you can find it on the Web.)
On it, that temperature appears at about x=0.47, y=0.41.  There must
be some way to get from that to RGB.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Marijuana is a dangerous drug.  It produces insanity in  :||
||:  people who never use it.                                 :||

* Re: about colors
@ 2013-04-23  9:20     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-04-23  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnaudlaroulette; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.04.2013 um 14:44 schrieb arnaudlaroulette@gmail.com:

> do anyone know how to get the RGB code for a light a 2700k??

Here is a C programme source: http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/specrend/. The RGB are output as decimal values in the range from 0.0 to 1.0, but this can easily be changed in the source (main() function) as the temperature steps. Here is such modified output:

Temperature       x      y      z       R     G     B
   2700 K      0.4599 0.4106 0.1295     255   100    24

--
Greetings

  Pete

Know thyself. Need help, call GOOGLE.