all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Vertical window split by default
@ 2009-03-20  8:00 etay.meiri
From: etay.meiri @ 2009-03-20  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

When I execute a shell command such as grep or make emacs
automatically splits the screen horizontally and executes the command
on the right hand side.
How can I get it to split vertically and execute the command on the
lower window?

Thanks,

-Etay

* Re: Vertical window split by default
@ 2009-03-20  9:32 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3622.1237541562.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etay.meiri; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.03.2009 um 09:00 schrieb etay.meiri:

> How can I get it to split vertically and execute the command on the
> lower window?

Make the frame higher than wide.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.

@ 2009-03-20 10:00   ` etay.meiri
From: etay.meiri @ 2009-03-20 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

That means that I can't use the full width of my 24' monitor.
I prefer using emacs in one large frame and I only split it
horizontally to see sources side-by-side.

-Etay

@ 2009-03-20 11:22     ` thierry.volpiatto
From: thierry.volpiatto @ 2009-03-20 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
i didn't follow this post, so i don't know what you want to do exactly,
but may be you will be interested to toggle the split
vertically/horizontally like ediff do.
Have a look at the function `traverse-toggle-split-window-h-v' in
traverselisp.el.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/traverselisp.el

etay.meiri@gmail.com writes:

> That means that I can't use the full width of my 24' monitor.
> I prefer using emacs in one large frame and I only split it
> horizontally to see sources side-by-side.
>
> -Etay
>
> On Mar 20, 11:32 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
>> Am 20.03.2009 um 09:00 schrieb etay.meiri:
>>
>> > How can I get it to split vertically and execute the command on the
>> > lower window?
>>
>> Make the frame higher than wide.
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>    Pete
>>
>> Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: Vertical window split by default
@ 2009-03-20 11:27     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-20 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: etay.meiri; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.03.2009 um 11:00 schrieb etay.meiri:

> That means that I can't use the full width of my 24' monitor.
> I prefer using emacs in one large frame and I only split it
> horizontally to see sources side-by-side.

There seem to be other means which also might work. Every few months
this topic is raised again and was already recorded in depth in the
archive. I don't obscure my whole screen with one single application
– not really a Losedos user. The applications I prefer can exist in a
manifold on screen – and mostly in a portrait like mood (before
computers, I mean the not so huge ones, those without valves and
relais, were invented I could read – bad manners probably).

If you have some time left you could also investigate inside the GNU
Emacs documentation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on
fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

@ 2009-03-20 11:38 ` weber
From: weber @ 2009-03-20 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 20 mar, 05:00, etay.me...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I execute a shell command such as grep or make emacs
> automatically splits the screen horizontally and executes the command
> on the right hand side.
> How can I get it to split vertically and execute the command on the
> lower window?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Etay

I use a tweaked version of this function for centuries:
http://tsdh.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/automatically-split-window-horizontally-if-current-window-is-wide-enough/
Cheers,
weber

* Re: Vertical window split by default
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-20 13:34 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3635.1237558186.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2009-03-20 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

etay.meiri@gmail.com writes:

> Hi,
>
> When I execute a shell command such as grep or make emacs
> automatically splits the screen horizontally and executes the command
> on the right hand side.
> How can I get it to split vertically and execute the command on the
> lower window?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Etay

If you're using emacs 23, you can adjust the value of
split-width-threshold.

Here's the documentation:

: split-width-threshold is a variable defined in `window.el'.
: Its value is 192
:
: Documentation:
: Minimum width of window to be split horizontally.
: If the value is a number, `display-buffer' can split a window
: only if it has at least as many columns.  If the value is nil,
: `display-buffer' cannoCt split a window horizontally.
:
: You can customize this variable.
:
: This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
: version 23.1 of Emacs.

I have it set to a value wider than my current diminutive moniter (MSI
Wind netbook) can handle, and the splits are now occurring vertically
instead of horizontally.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: Vertical window split by default
@ 2009-03-20 14:09   ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3635.1237558186.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-03-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris McMahan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:34, Chris McMahan <cmcmahan@one.net> wrote:

: If the value is nil,
: `display-buffer' cannoCt split a window horizontally.

> I have it set to a value wider than my current diminutive moniter (MSI
> Wind netbook) can handle, and the splits are now occurring vertically
> instead of horizontally.

Why aren't you just setting it to nil?

    Juanma

@ 2009-03-20 14:56     ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2009-03-20 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:34, Chris McMahan <cmcmahan@one.net> wrote:
>
> : If the value is nil,
> : `display-buffer' cannoCt split a window horizontally.
>
>> I have it set to a value wider than my current diminutive moniter (MSI
>> Wind netbook) can handle, and the splits are now occurring vertically
>> instead of horizontally.
>
> Why aren't you just setting it to nil?
>
>     Juanma

Umm.... (shuffling feet) ...