all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* connecting with tramp and plink to a non standard port fails
@ 2008-01-07 17:34 lmunro
       [not found] ` <mailman.5876.1199768699.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: lmunro @ 2008-01-07 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I'm having trouble connecting to a linux server using tramp on windows
XP with plink.
I can connect fine to servers using the standard ssh port but can't
get plink to use a different port using tramp.

On it's own plink seems to work fine. If I open a cmd.exe window and
type
> plink -l user host.example.com -P 55
I can connect just fine using a password or a private key.

But in emacs if I try this:
(C-x C-f)
/user@host.example.com#55:~user/file

The connection fails and emacs complain this way in the minibuffer:
plink: unknown option "-p"
Process *tramp/plink user@host.example.com#55* exited abnormally with
code 1

I have stuck this line in my .emacs:
(setq tramp-default-method "plink")

Anyone has any idea why?

I've never had any problem connecting to this server with tramp on my
mac (using ssh and port specified in ~.ssh/config), so I know it's
possible...

Much obliged for any help.
LM

* Re: connecting with tramp and plink to a non standard port fails
@ 2008-01-08  5:08 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.5876.1199768699.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-01-08  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lmunro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

lmunro <louis.munro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I'm having trouble connecting to a linux server using tramp on windows
> XP with plink.
> I can connect fine to servers using the standard ssh port but can't
> get plink to use a different port using tramp.
>
> On it's own plink seems to work fine. If I open a cmd.exe window and
> type
>> plink -l user host.example.com -P 55
> I can connect just fine using a password or a private key.

Which Tramp version do you use? I guess it is Tramp 2.0.x.

Tramp 2.0 has a design error, that for ports it always adds "-p xxx".
This is fine for ssh etc, but wrong for plink (which needs "-P xxx").

This is solved in Tramp 2.1, where the parameter is set depending on the
used method.

> Much obliged for any help.
> LM

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2008-01-09 20:32   ` lmunro
From: lmunro @ 2008-01-09 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 8, 12:08 am, Michael Albinus <michael.albi...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Which Tramp version do you use? I guess it is Tramp 2.0.x.
>
> Tramp 2.0 has a design error, that for ports it always adds "-p xxx".
> This is fine for ssh etc, but wrong for plink (which needs "-P xxx").
>
> This is solved in Tramp 2.1, where the parameter is set depending on the
> used method.

That seems to have done it.
I was using the version of tramp that comes precompiled with emacs
22.1 for windows.
Recompiling tramp 2.1 has allowed me to use the # kludge.

Thank you for your help,
LM