all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Word wrap and horizontal scrolling
@ 2011-03-13 15:53 Alexander Stepanov
From: Alexander Stepanov @ 2011-03-13 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am still trying to make emacs work as usual Windows text editor such
as Notepad++ and MS Visual Studio. I can turn off word wrap in Notepad+
+ and it will show horizontal scrollbar. To do such in emacs i must
input M-x toggle-truncate-lines and scroll to the left and to the
right using C-PgDn and C-PgUp. But this method scrolls code with too
big offset. For example my current task at work is to make some
changes in such code:
if(...){
	if(...){
		if(...){
		}
		else{
			if(...){
				if(...){
					if(...){
						else{
							if(...){
							}
							else{
I can edit this code in Notepad++. But Emacs wrap lines. When i turn
of line wrapping C-PgDn moves me to the last if and C-PgUp moves me to
the first if. If I want to edit center part of code I move using left
and write arrows at the keyboard. This Emacs behaviour is shameful. Is
there some way to emulate horizontal scrollbar?