all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* lots of information in Modeline
@ 2010-03-10  8:50 Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2010-03-10  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear emacs users:

Sometimes, the text on modeline are too long so they are truncated.
Since some text contains important information like new message in
gnus, I'm wondering how to show the long text on modeline well.

The following is a list what I though:
1. scrolling modeline
2. two-or-more rows' modeline

Is their any way to do those things or better suggestion?

Thanks.

Kiwon Um

* Re: lots of information in Modeline
@ 2010-03-12 18:36 ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2010-03-12 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 10, 2:50 am, Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear emacs users:
>
> Sometimes, the text on modeline are too long so they are truncated.
> Since some text contains important information like new message in
> gnus, I'm wondering how to show the long text on modeline well.
>
> The following is a list what I though:
> 1. scrolling modeline
> 2. two-or-more rows' modeline
>
> Is their any way to do those things or better suggestion?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kiwon Um

There's diminish.el, which hides minor mode indicators.  In the
comments of diminish.el, it says you can set the major mode indicator
with (setq mode-name "some string").

I would really like to see a multirow modeline too, especially if it
was only on the selected window.

* Re: lots of information in Modeline
@ 2010-03-13  9:13 ` A.Politz
From: A.Politz @ 2010-03-13  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 10, 9:50 am, Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear emacs users:
>
> Sometimes, the text on modeline are too long so they are truncated.
> Since some text contains important information like new message in
> gnus, I'm wondering how to show the long text on modeline well.
>
> The following is a list what I though:
> 1. scrolling modeline
> 2. two-or-more rows' modeline
>
> Is their any way to do those things or better suggestion?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kiwon Um

1. Since the mode-line can be computed dynamically and updated at
will with a timer, it can be done.  But scrolling column-wise at
a decent rate shure looks ugly.

(setq mode-line-format
      '(:eval (funcall
               (lambda nil
                 (concat (make-string (% (cadr (current-time))
                                         (window-width))
                                      #x20)
                         "A mode-line that can scroll.")))))

(setq tm (run-with-timer 0 1 'force-mode-line-update))
(cancel-timer tm)

2. Maybe with an overlay, otherwise no.

3. Use a header-line or tool-tips.

-ap