all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Adjusting string font-locking to not span multiple lines
@ 2008-05-16 10:35 Nordlöw
       [not found] ` <mailman.11679.1210937018.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-05-16 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey there!

I would like to override the behaviour for string highlighting in
lines such as the following.

0	string	\xad6" AMGC archive data

such that the the whole pattern
                   \xad6"
is highlighted in the font-lock-constant-face

in order to prevent font-lock from highlighting the rest of the buffer
in font-lock-string-face.

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* Re: Adjusting string font-locking to not span multiple lines
@ 2008-05-16 11:09 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.11679.1210937018.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2008-05-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 16 May 2008 03:35:48 -0700 (PDT) Nordlöw wrote:

> I would like to override the behaviour for string highlighting in
> lines such as the following.
>
> 0	string	\xad6" AMGC archive data
>
> such that the the whole pattern
>                    \xad6"
> is highlighted in the font-lock-constant-face
>
> in order to prevent font-lock from highlighting the rest of the buffer
> in font-lock-string-face.
>
> How do I accomplish this?

If double quotes aren't used as string delimiters at all, just change
the syntax of the double quote character.  Otherwise you have to use
font-lock-syntactic-keywords to overwrite the syntax-table.

David

@ 2008-05-16 13:39   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-05-16 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 16 Maj, 13:09, David Hansen <david.han...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 03:35:48 -0700 (PDT) Nordlöw wrote:
>
> > I would like to override the behaviour for string highlighting in
> > lines such as the following.
>
> > 0  string  \xad6" AMGC archive data
>
> > such that the the whole pattern
> >                    \xad6"
> > is highlighted in the font-lock-constant-face
>
> > in order to prevent font-lock from highlighting the rest of the buffer
> > in font-lock-string-face.
>
> > How do I accomplish this?
>
> If double quotes aren't used as string delimiters at all, just change
> the syntax of the double quote character.  Otherwise you have to use
> font-lock-syntactic-keywords to overwrite the syntax-table.
>
> David

How do I "just change the syntax of the double quote character"?
Do you mean like:
(setq font-lock-defaults `(filemagic-font-lock-keywords nil))

@ 2008-05-16 15:03     ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-05-16 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 16 May 2008 06:39:22 -0700 (PDT) Nordlöw wrote:

> On 16 Maj, 13:09, David Hansen <david.han...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 May 2008 03:35:48 -0700 (PDT) Nordlöw wrote:
>>
>> > I would like to override the behaviour for string highlighting in
>> > lines such as the following.
>>
>> > 0  string  \xad6" AMGC archive data
>>
>> > such that the the whole pattern
>> >                    \xad6"
>> > is highlighted in the font-lock-constant-face
>>
>> If double quotes aren't used as string delimiters at all, just change
>> the syntax of the double quote character.  Otherwise you have to use
>> font-lock-syntactic-keywords to overwrite the syntax-table.
>
> How do I "just change the syntax of the double quote character"?

This is a very good tutorial on writing an emacs major mode.  Check the
paragraph "Syntax table modifications":

http://two-wugs.net/emacs/mode-tutorial.html

Note that modifying the syntax-table also affects other parts of emacs
behavior (e.g. forward/backward-sexp).  But from above example this is
probably what you want.

David