all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Learning LISP; Scheme vs elisp.
@ 2008-08-01 12:45 Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2008-08-01 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've decided I ought to train myself in the most elegant programming
weapon --- http://xkcd.com/297/ --- so I've started working through
_The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs_.

In the long term I hope I'll be able to customize Emacs more in its
native way instead of wrapping external Perl programs in
shell-command-on-region (as I often do now).

Any tips on transferring knowledge between Scheme and elisp?

As a first observation, it seems to me that Scheme's define seems to
correspond to both defun and setq in elisp --- is that a fair
interpretation (or a stupid one)?