all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I suppress mail sending via Thunderbird?
@ 2011-03-29  1:01 Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2011-03-29  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm in the midst of migrating from XEmacs to GNU Emacs on my Mac.  My
current stumbling block is sending mail.  I use VM to read mail.  Whenever
I try to send a message from a buffer created by vm-mail it executes
vm-mail-send-and-exit.  For some reason that pops open Thunderbird to send
the message.

Now I suppose this would be fine if I actually liked Thunderbird.  I use
it only for work email, and curse it repeatedly, multiple times per day.
In XEmacs I was using an older version of VM (8.0.2.something).  I
installed the current version (8.1.93a) in GNU Emacs.  I dug into the
source, but couldn't figure out how it passed off the message to T-Bird.
How do I get VM to just send the dang message itself?

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

* Re: How do I suppress mail sending via Thunderbird?
       [not found] <mailman.10.1301360479.5232.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-29  1:43 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-03-29  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> How do I get VM to just send the dang message itself?

Probably, customize send-mail-function (maybe message-send-mail-function
too). It defaults to "use the system's default mail client" on MS
Windows and Mac OS, since those systems apparently tend not to come with
sendmail or smtpmail working out of the box.

* Re: How do I suppress mail sending via Thunderbird?
@ 2011-03-29  5:08 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-03-29  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/28/11 7:01 PM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I'm in the midst of migrating from XEmacs to GNU Emacs on my Mac.  My
> current stumbling block is sending mail.  I use VM to read mail.  Whenever
> I try to send a message from a buffer created by vm-mail it executes
> vm-mail-send-and-exit.  For some reason that pops open Thunderbird to send
> the message.
>
> Now I suppose this would be fine if I actually liked Thunderbird.  I use
> it only for work email, and curse it repeatedly, multiple times per day.
> In XEmacs I was using an older version of VM (8.0.2.something).  I
> installed the current version (8.1.93a) in GNU Emacs.  I dug into the
> source, but couldn't figure out how it passed off the message to T-Bird.
> How do I get VM to just send the dang message itself?

Try customizing the send-mail-client variable (it defaults to mailclient-send-it
on Mac OS X).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: How do I suppress mail sending via Thunderbird?
@ 2011-03-29 10:07   ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2011-03-29 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Try customizing the send-mail-client variable...

Thanks.  That did the trick...

Skip