all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Default to No X
@ 2008-08-10 13:53 Strake
       [not found] ` <489f3091.0e36640a.32c5.ffffda29SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
From: Strake @ 2008-08-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have been using emacs for quite a while now, but one thing has
always irritated me: that it starts, by default, in X mode, and I must
use the -nw switch to disable this behaviour, which I sometimes forget
to do. How can one configure emacs to start without X by default? Can
it be done in .emacs?

* Re: Default to No X
       [not found] <mailman.16279.1218385291.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-10 16:29 ` Bewater
From: Bewater @ 2008-08-10 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Strake <strake888@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using emacs for quite a while now, but one thing has
> always irritated me: that it starts, by default, in X mode, and I must
> use the -nw switch to disable this behaviour, which I sometimes forget
> to do. How can one configure emacs to start without X by default? Can
> it be done in .emacs?
1.alias:emacs -> emacs -nw
2.build emacs without X

* Re: Default to No X
@ 2008-08-10 18:36 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <489f3091.0e36640a.32c5.ffffda29SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Strake; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.08.2008 um 15:53 schrieb Strake:

> How can one configure emacs to start without X by default?

	./configure --without-x

> Can it be done in .emacs?

No.

You can also launch GNU Emacs with un-set environment variable
DISPLAY, as in

	env DISPLAY="" emacs

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man who is not a poet,
do not show him your poem.
		– Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

* Re: Default to No X
       [not found] ` <489f3091.0e36640a.32c5.ffffda29SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
@ 2008-08-10 18:59   ` Marco (Bj) Bardelli
From: Marco (Bj) Bardelli @ 2008-08-10 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

hi, u can compile a binary without X support.
safanaj

@ 2008-08-10 23:03 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-08-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Strake <strake888@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using emacs for quite a while now, but one thing has
> always irritated me: that it starts, by default, in X mode, and I must
> use the -nw switch to disable this behaviour, which I sometimes forget
> to do. How can one configure emacs to start without X by default? Can
> it be done in .emacs?

You've had some answers already - for example, no, it can't be done in
.emacs (since by the time emacs loads your ~/.emacs, it's too late).

There might be funky ways on some systems, which are slightly more
robust than an alias line in a bashrc (for example, gui programs won't
necessarily respect that sort of thing).

Debian, for example has something called an 'alternatives' system, which
was designed to solve this sort of problem (although as far as I know,
it only works globally on the system - are there other users you'd be
irritating?).

Rupert

* Re: Default to No X
@ 2008-08-20 12:32   ` Strake
From: Strake @ 2008-08-20 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you! The trick with the display variable worked beautifully.